Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > HO-Scale Corner > Marklin Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Remote control of turnout with Marklin C-track

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remote control of turnout with Marklin C-track
    Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 12:58pm
Hello,

I am a novice with electronics. Currently setting up a Marklin C-track system and running 3 trains. My question whether the Marklin 60653 Mobile Station is compatible with the Viessmann switch motor to control turnouts.

Thank you,

RNG
Bundesbahn View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 3:26pm
Hello Ram

Welcome to our Forum.

I need to know the model number of the Viessmann switch motor. They make more than one.

Do you actually talk about a 'switch motor' or a 'decoder'?

A switch motor aka turnout mechanism is actually not controlled by any control station. In analog operation you need to use a switch box, which is not connected to a control station at all.

In digital operation, you need a decoder hooked up the switch motor which then is controlled by the control station.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 3:38pm
Hello Choo Choo,

Thanks for your response. The Viessmann switch motor 4554 (Digital 2). Hope I got the model right!

Ram
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 4:02pm
The Viessmann 4554 is a universal switch motor/decoder combination compatible with both, NMRA DCC and Maerlin Motorola MM protocols. So the answer is 'Yes'. The Viessmann 4554 is compatible with the Maerklin MS2 (60653)
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 6:43am
Thank you!
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:16pm
Hello,

How many of the Viessmann 4554 switch motor turnouts can be controlled with the Maerklin MS2 (60653)?
Thank you! 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:58pm
The MS2 can address 320 solenoid devices. You find this information right on top of page 12 of the instruction manual. The switch motor portion of the Viessmann combination is a 'solenoid device'.

Edited by Choo Choo - 31 Mar 2015 at 3:15pm
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 4:02pm
Thank you!
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 7:24pm
Hello Ram

I took a closer look at the Viessman 4554. I was wrong about it being a solenoid device. It actually has a motor in it to move the frog in slow motion such as encountered in the real world. You may also encounter difficulties programming it. The MS2 does not deliver a lot of power. It will dim out during switch operation. If too much is going on, like all three trains running, it may even shut down.

I know that the cost for one unit is appealing compared to having to buy separate switch motors and decoders separately. $53 for the 4554 as opposed to $68 for the Maerklin switch mechanism 74491 and decoder 74460.

If you insist on the 4554, buy only to see if you get it to work. If you get too frustrated, I recommend the Maerklin two component method. It is a lot easier to deal with.

There is still the analog way. If you have not already done so, you should read the blog titled 'Turnouts/Switches - Analog or Digital'

Edited by Choo Choo - 31 Mar 2015 at 7:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic