Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > HO-Scale Corner > Marklin Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with track crossing and 3 way turnout

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ganapar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with track crossing and 3 way turnout
    Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 1:30pm
Hello,

Main Problem:

I have connected in sequence a Marklin 24624 C Double Slip Switch Track to a Marklin 24649 C Track Crossing followed by a Marklin 24630 C Track Three Way Turnout.  The locomotives run okay through the double slip but stall just after the Marklin 24649 C Track Crossing at a Marklin 188 straight track connecting to the Marklin 24630 C Track Three Way Turnout . The Marklin 24624 C Double Slip Switch Track and the Marklin 24630 C Track Three Way Turnout is not powered and I am manually switching the direction.

Other Questions

1. What is the best way to power the Marklin 24624 C Double Slip Switch Track since it has 3 wires. Also what is the most compatible decoder to be used with a Marklin 60653 Mobile Station?

2. What is best way to power the Marklin 24630 C Track Three Way Turnout and what is the most compatible decoder to be used with a Marklin 60653 Mobile Station

3. What is the best way to power the Marklin 24978 C Track End w/bumper/lantern?

4. If the devices indicated above need to be powered from the track what additional accessories do I need to purchase?

Thanks you for all your help!

Train Enthusiast

Train Enthusiast
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 3:19pm
A three-way switch is basically a set of two switches which have been compressed in length and where some of the elements of the two switches overlap.  In fact on the prototype, such a switch is typically called a "lap (from overlap) switch."

I don't have  Märklin equipment -- I operate two-rail DC -- but lap switches are normally operated with two different switch machines, both in the prototype and model versions.

So, I assume the same switch motors and decoders that you use for a simple turnout would also work for a lap switch, except that you would need two of each.

The other Märklin stuff -- I don't know. 

I hope that helps.  I'll leave the other questions to someone else.

-- Ernest

BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 7:59pm
Hello:  It has to be a decoder that can speak the language sent by the command station.  If you use a multi-protocol station like an ESU, then any accessory decoder should do the job.  I personally like decoders that have a capacity discharge unit, because they give this extra kick that ensures everything works (and also is strong enough to operate to switches at the same time, e.g. at a crossover).  If you do not have a multi-protocol station then you need to use one that understands the Marklin protocol.  Viessmann, Esu and Marklin produce matching decoders.  In general, all these decoders should e working fine.

The end buffer can operate from 12V AC or 12V DC.  Just go to a local electronic supply store and get a 12V plug into the wall transformer rated about 3A and you are set.

In general, in spite of all the advertisement, the NMRA-DCC and Marklin system both do about the same, they just do their job speaking a different language.

Ulrich

Edited by BR42 - 03 Aug 2015 at 8:01pm
ganapar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ganapar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 7:05am
Hello,.

Thanks but I still need help why with manual operation (no decoder) a locomotive will cross a Marklin 24624 C Double Slip SwitchTrack and a Marklin 24649 C Track Crossing but stall at a Marklin 188 C track connected to a Marklin 24630 C Track Three Way Turnout. I am manually switching the direction.

Thank you,

Train Enthusiast

Train Enthusiast
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic