Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Scenary Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fir trees

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fir trees
    Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 9:38pm
I've been doing some preliminary work on my layout, including trying to figure out how some of the landscaping will work.  I've even begun some work on one peninsula (in a different room from where the layout will be built, because there is still too much stuff in that room), and have come to the conclusion that for that section of the layout, I am going to need quite a few fir trees on a slope that will fill in a corner of the room.

Now, I do have some trees that were salvaged from my previous layout (which never came anywhere close to completion due to a move).  But, I will probably need quite a few additional trees -- especially as the layout progresses.

So, I'd like to see what some of your experiences and thoughts are for this subject.

Yes, there appear to be plenty of scenic products with trees from a variety of manufacturers -- to the point that it's difficult to figure out which would work best or to even find all the relevant products.  (For now, I am primarily interested in fir trees, but will also need other types later.)

I've been following Michael Rose's construction Blog for his two layouts ( http://www.gamrailroad.com ) and noticed that he managed to mass produce trees from scratch himself.  I'm not sure that I have the inclination or the artistic talent in that area) to do that myself.  Assembling trees from kits to save some money might work, however.

What trees have you used on your layouts?  What did you like or dislike about particular products?

If you did make trees yourself, how did you learn how to do that?

I think these questions are probably not scale-specific.  I notice that many model tree paqckages are not marked with a specifric scale, but rather the actual physical size of the trees.  For example, what might be a large tree in N scale would also be a smaller tree in HO.

-- Ernest

BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 6:28am
Ernest:

I felt like you about making trees.  I used Woodland Scenic kits and assembled trees.  Keep in mind though that scale trees are huge, and will dominate the layout unless you have a huge space available:  A 60 foot tree is about 8" tall in H0, hence higher than some mountains which modeller built.  I think it is another area for compromise between scale modeling and the reality of space for the hobby.

Ulrich
coxen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coxen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 9:56am
Hey All

Wow a big room for layout, awesome am I. Why, living in Sweden is it hard to get such big room.

First ask them what you need this big room for. Next how long time do you need this room.

Best Regards
coxen
I like trains.
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 11:33am
Okay, there might be some misunderstanding here.  I own my home.  I don't need to ask anyone about using any part of it.

The room that I plan to build my layout in is my former office, from when I was self-employed and working from home.  There is a large amount of furniture in it -- which I have gradually been cleaning out.  (I had business files going back many years, among other things.) 

Once the furniture is all cleaned out and disposed of, then I can begin building my layout.

-- Ernest

Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 12:02pm
Ulrich,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I couldn't find any of Woodland Scenics kits on the Walthers site.  But a search on eBay did show a number of dealers selling WS "conifer" tree kits at what appeared to be reasonable prices.

I used to be able to get these kinds of items, including a range of Woodland Scenics products, locally, but sadly the shop that carried these closed down last year when the owner retired.  Yes, they never carried any European items, but at least I could get generic landscape and other accessories.

-- Ernest
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 12:23pm

I have bought bags of inexpensive fir trees - I forget the brand - that were foliage on a wire frame.  About 50 to a bag.  The down side was that the top of the wire shined through.  The fix is easy: spray with super hold hair spray and sprinkle with appropriate colored ground cover.  A drop of Elmer's on top wouldn't hurt, either.

For mass producing them, I would stick a bunch in a bit of Styrofoam, spray them all, and douse liberally with ground cover, and spray again.  Of course, you would do this after trimming with diagonal cutters to individualize the trees.

Cheers!

Gord

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic