Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Off Topic Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MIBA Modell Eisenbahn magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracktime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MIBA Modell Eisenbahn magazine
    Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 8:59pm
Does anyone know how to get the MIBA magazine in the United States.
I tried to go through Amazon books and they told me it would take 8 weeks to get subscription. Eight weeks later they sent me a message and refunded the money.

I currently subscribe to Eisenbahn Journal but would like MIBA as well.

Thanks for any help.

Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 10:42pm
You can subscribe directly at http://www.miba.de .  They offer a variety of subscriptions, including some test subscriptions of less than a year.

Be aware, however, that an annual subscription to the U.S. is going to cost you well over $100.  Their annual rate for subscriptions to locations outside of Europe is Euro 98.80.

By the way, if you read German, there's a lot of archival information, such as product announcements, available on their Web site for free.

For what it's worth, I subscribe to the Austrian magazine Modellbahnwelt, which appears six times a year and costs me about $50 per year.  (They take credit cards for payment -- though not on their Web site.  You fill out a subscription form and they send you a bill, which you send back with the credit card info by airmail.)  I find the subscription price well worthwhile and have found lots of useful information from scenery tips to announcements of new products and product reviews.

Delivery time of magazines from Europe can be somewhat random -- unless you pay even more for air mail.   My copies of Modellbahnwelt have taken anywhere from around a week to about two months.  I think it depends on whether there is available space on aircraft.  During busy shipping seasons, magazines may go by surface (in a shipping container on a vessel).

Hope that helps.

-- Ernest

Edited by Railwriter - 07 Sep 2015 at 10:43pm
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 6:28am
Hallo Ernest:

When I still subscribed to MIBA, I complained to them about the slow delivery, and they told me it is the US Mail.  Their shipments to Australia take about a week, to the US about four for magazines.  I actually believe them, since there was the case of my copy of "Altbaueloks Vol.2" which I ordered on Ebay from someone in California.  It took USPS two months to deliver it, the mailman and I could not believe it.  Reminded me of the joke I heard when I was in grad school:  USPS delivery still the best deal in town, less than a penny a day.

Ulrich
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 7:58am
I was getting the Miba for two years, ordered directly from https://shop.vgbahn.info/vgbahn.

In the beginning I had some problems with them because they had my address wrong, after we straighten out the mistake (cost me multiple emails and calls and took a half year) it was getting better but it usually takes four weeks until it gets delivered after the release date.

I also tried there "new way" getting those magazines "online" in there VGB Shop. I thought to buy a PDF Version would be perfect so I can store it on my server and can access it when I need it.

I WAS WRONG and I can and do not recommend to use there online service!!!
Why??
You need a specific PDF Viewer without any functionality that you have to download and you can't zoom in what is essential on small screens (I used a Samsung 10.1" tablet). The PDF's are password protected and can't be transferred to another PC.

I do not thing that the shipping service of the USPS is so slow because I get other orders in around ten days. It is just there way to ship it - the cheapest way and this will be treated and transported when they have free capacities.

All the mail is transported as "Air Mail" but it is used as a filler when capacity is available in air planes from regular air lines that fly on a daily basis to the US. The German "Deutsche Post" buy's the left over space so the air lines get some extra money and the Deutsche Post pay's less as they would pay for there own planes. On the opposite this means if there is not enough space for all mail it will back up and will result in delays. Especially magazines and books will ship cheap worldwide but the ranking of transportation get the lowest number available.

Edited by RRVRR - 08 Sep 2015 at 8:03am
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 10:17pm
Markus:

My experiences with USPS have been everything from great to horrible. Several times, the German shipper included a tracking numer, abd the package arrived in New York within 48 hours, and then set there for ever.  I have waited for some items almost three weeks, others arrived in 5 days.  One package was left in Atlanta in the rain, till it was soaked through, fortunately the locomomive was put in a plastic box, so it was not damaged.

The German postal service has its problem too. A common joke under German train fans is:

Q.: How do you disassemble a locomotive if you have lost all instructions for it?
A.: Put it in a box, and mail it to yourself. 48 hours later it will arrive totally disassembled.

Things were actually much better than the German state ran the postal service.

Ulrich

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 11:55pm
Actually -- though the USPS does have its problems -- I think most of the delays are caused by U.S. Customs rather than the postal service.  I am currently waiting for a (long out of production) Roco Swiss sleeping car that I bought from Germany on eBay.

The vendor provided a tracking number and it took the package two days to get from the store to New York.  It then sat there for seven days.  It is now on the move again and will apparently arrive tomorrow.

I have many of the items that I know will come by USPS sent to my P.O. Box, that I have had for many years -- through several changes of physical address.  Most of the people at that post office know me and make every effort to be helpful. 

One of the reasons I use the P.O. Box is that packages will not be left in front of my door.  Packages that do not require a signature are put into a parcel locker and they key is put into my box.  The ones that do require a signature get a notice left in my box that I can immediately take to the counter to claim the package.

Of course, UPS and other parcel services typically cannot deliver to a P.O. Box.  But, on the whole, my experiences with USPS have been better than with UPS and FedEx.

Somewhat related story about German attitudes:  A friend tells this story:  On a return trip to the U.S. he was somewhat of a hurry and just threw all of his belongings, including clothes, into his suitcase.  He was leaving from a German airport.

His belongings included a small metal thermos, which apparently showed up when his bag was x-rayed by German security -- leading to the bag being opened for inspection.  When he arrived in the U.S., all his clothes had been neatly and carfully folded when they were repacked into his suitcase by German security!

-- Ernest

Gyrogearcrunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gyrogearcrunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 9:22am
Ernest,

Another German attitude: once committed to a computer, no procedure, no matter how bad or inoperative, will ever again be revisited by another German to fix it. Of course, I refer to VGB's magazine subscription services. Unfortunately, they handle MIBA!
Good thing I signed up here - I now have hope of getting MIBA through other means.
Gyro
N/A
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 1:17pm
@ Ulrich
When I buy something in Germany, the DP or DHL is to 99% not the problem and very fast. In 1-2 Days it is handed over to the airport facility and the first problem starts her.

First,
depending on the size of the package (not magazine and books) small packages usually travel faster then big boxes because of the space in the plane. Usually there is a 1-2 Days wait (I also had once a wait period of 6 weeks and went crazy because the tracking will not show where it is. I did so many calls and then a Supervisor from the German DP explained me that an Airline canceled the contract with the DP because of the fact that the US changed there custom laws).

Second,
when they arrive in the US (usually New York) they get to a USPS sort facility and from here to customs. Now it depends on the courtesy of customs how fast they release it, this can go from a few hours to a few weeks.

Third,
when everything goes right it takes up to 2-3 Days after the release from customs until you get it. But (it's a big "BUT") if USPS screws up (also had that a couple times) you see your package taking a sightseeing tour thru the US and you can see the where it was scanned the last time. One of my boxes traveled from New York -> Michigan -> Iowa -> Illinois -> Tennessee -> Georgia -> North Carolina and finaly South Carolina.

So the average travel time for packages I buy in Germany over Ebay or from Dealers arrive in 6-10 work days. Right now I have something in the mail it took 3 days in Germany (labor day weekend 2 days not counted), it arrived yesterday at ISC New York and not it is on hold by customs for over 24 hours already.

@ Ernest
UPS, DHL working different because they handle there freight internally, means they don't give it away like DP hands it over to USPS. DHL for an example have there own planes, employee custom agents to handle there freight and deliver with there own trucks. That is why they do not have access to your P.O. Box because this is the property of USPS.

@ Gyro
Unfortunately as a German I have to admit you are partly right. German's have the tensity to be unfriendly and unwilling to do the extra step to reach out. This does not apply to all but some company's are still stuck in the past, the German customer service desert as I call it. Especially older German company's and folks don't like changes. The attitude is "It worked 50 years this way and it must work the next 50 years the same way". The effect of this tunnel vision will result in closing the business and/or bankruptcy sooner or later. Over here it is pretty much the same way with the exception that the Americans are more willing to reach out for there customers and not so narrow minded when it comes to customer service.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 3:22pm
Markus,

Actually DHL packages do get delivered to my P.O. Box.  These shipments are apparently turned over to the U.S. Postal Service somewhere along the line.  This may only apply to smaller packages;  I believe larger packages may still be delivered by DHL's own trucks.

There is also a FedEx service called Smartpost, where the package travels FedEx (ground, usually) most of the way, and is then turned over to the U.S. Postal Service for final delivery.  These items also go to my P.O. Box, with FedEx making the actual delivery to the post office where my box is located.

-- Ernest
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 7:19pm
I know Fedex does it, it is turned over in the local post office but that DHL does the same is new to my but not really surprising, might be a new and a little bit cheaper service.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic