Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Digital Trains > AC Digital Trains
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Connecting Old Digital with New

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting Old Digital with New
    Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 4:41pm

After 40 years of having my Marklin collection sit in boxes, my recent retirement provided the time I need to set up a layout.  Almost everything I have is M track, however I did purchase a starter set that came with some C track and a Mobile Station 2.  I set up 2 loops, an analog one with M track and a digital one with C track.  I am so heavily invested in M track that it would not make financial sense to switch everything over to C at this point.

I recently acquired a Marklin 60215 Central Station as well as a 60065 transformer, a 60125 Terminal, a 6021 control unit with four 6040 keyboards, a 6017 booster, two 6001 transformers and several 6083 K 83 decoders.  My idea is to use the central station to control the locomotives and the 6040 keyboards to control turnouts. I have no desire to control locomotives with the 6021 control unit, however I would like to use the 6017 booster either to provide additional power for turnouts or perhaps add an additional circuit in the layout.  I tested a 6040 keyboard with the K 83 decoders to switch M turnouts and they all work fine.

My problem is I have no idea how to wire this all together.  The booster did not come with any cables so I can't connect it to the 6021 unit.  I saw a diagram that shows the 6017 unit connecting with the 60215 Central Station however I have read somewhere that it must be connected to the 60125 Terminal which is then connected to the 60215 Central Station.  I don't have the cable needed to connect it either way and can't find any documentation on it.  Do I need to connect the 6021 to the Central Station or can I just connect the power output to the K 83 decoders?  If I decide to use the 6017 to control additional turnouts can I just connect it to the 6021?

So this all boils down to two questions:

1)  What are the part numbers of the cables needed to connect the 6017 to either the 6021 and/or the 60125 Terminal?
2)  Do I need to connect the older digital equipment to the Central Station or can I control the turnouts independently?

Alex

jwvl4764 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwvl4764 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:25am
I also have an issue with a new starter set with mobil Station 2. Set up and programed all existing old digital locos into mobil station & all worked well. Moved to small m-track layout and 4 of the 10 older locos would not work. Returned them to another m-track test line with 6021 and the 4 locos ran perfect.

Any ideas or suggestions? Called Reynaulds but the staff is at the Toy Fair and won't be back for a few weeks

jwvl4764

BTW, Alex all my switchs and turnouts are powered independently 
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:01pm
Hello:

The starter set produces about 1.2A, while the 6021 delivers up to 3A when used with 50VA transformer.  Even boosting the starter set with a more powerful transformer gives a maximal output of 1.9A.  It may be that your old locos draw a high current.

Ulrich
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic