Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > HO-Scale Corner > Marklin Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2-rail operation of Marklin K track

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jverne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2-rail operation of Marklin K track
    Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 4:47pm
Straight track sections have no problem operating in 2-rail as well as 3-rail. There are however issues with turnouts. Can anyone provide me with part numbers of those turnouts that can operate in 2-rail.
I have heard that the large radius turnouts will work but am not sure.
Thanks in advance.

John
SCTC
John
SCTC
Locomotore99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Locomotore99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 9:49am
Hi, jverne:

I use the the Marklin 22715 and its counterpart 22716 and work just fine in both 2-rail and 3-rail on my small layout where I run both. Marklin parked on one side at the end of one turn and the DC on the the end of the other turnout.

One little word of warning: I found that while the K tracks are nice and smooth, on one of the turnouts (the 22715), the going is rough. This happens when the train is running against the opening of the turnout, but in entering and exiting the turnout there is no problem.  I tried to see if I had not connected it right, but all seems well.  Maybe it's a slightly defective unit. I may change it.

The other turnout has no such problem.

Are you starting a DUAL system?   
Hello from Toronto.
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 4:07pm
Hello:

The basic problem running through a turnout is that the distance between the inner wheel surfaces is slightly narrower for Marklin than DC wheels.  If the wheel set is slightly wide and the turnout has tide manufacturing related tolerances, then rough running may occur.  A little adjusting should take care of the problem.

Ulrich 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic