Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

N Scale Layout: Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:48pm
I'll be taking my layout to the train show at the Forney Transportation Museum in Denver, August 22nd and 23rd. I hope to report back here with photos after the show.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by el Gato Gordo el Gato Gordo wrote:

I'll be taking my layout to the train show at the Forney Transportation Museum in Denver, August 22nd and 23rd. I hope to report back here with photos after the show.

Great, looking forward to seeing them!

Ralph.
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 4:39pm
The train show at the Forney Transportation Museum last weekend was quite enjoyable.  It was not well attended since the street in front of the museum was under construction, and only had one lane, one-way, open.  But it was reasonably attended, and we had a good time.

This photo was taken after we started to tear down, and had removed the green felt skirting that I use at shows.

Today I started on a new interactive display.  In August 2014 Kathy and I visited Halstatt, Austria, and toured the salt mine above the town.  A nice funicular ride up to the entrance, great tour, and a "train" ride out of the mountain, and a fine long hike down.   In the mine the salt is dissolved in ponds, and when the salinity of the water reaches 43%, the saltwater is pumped 20+ kilometers to a desalination plant where it is returned to usable crystal form.  I am trying to give a representation of the salt mine, with the crystal cave effect, the long slides used to reach lower levels, and a static display of the train ride out.

Here is the beginning:

There will be an upper and lower level.  I expect to have figures - tourists like myself - going down a slide to get to the lower level on a belt operated by a slow speed motor.  This will activate for 10 to 12 seconds, and lights illuminate the crystalline character of the cave/mine when spectators push a button.  
Next step, I think, is to build a working module that can be inserted into the lower left side.  I'll keep folks posted as I make progress, and as the forum is available.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 6:05pm
Hi Gordon,

Nice to see that the show went well, even if not fully attended.

I remember visiting the salt mines around '68 and it's something that stuck with me even though I was still a young'un. Great idea for modelling and I'm looking forward to see how this turns out!

Ralph.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:07am
Making some progress.  I've built the slide, from one level to the other, and motorized it so figures (tourists) will be descending.  The basic carving, painting and "salting" is done.  Now waiting for the Envirotek in the pool to dry so I can assemble and finish this project.

The cut-out in the foreground is for installation of the slide, which will come down from the upper left.  All of this will be behind a removable panel, with a viewing opening so spectators can see the mine and the slide.

Edited by el Gato Gordo - 12 Aug 2017 at 11:16am
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:31pm
Wow, that is coming along nicely! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Ralph.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 4:00pm
The structure is finished and the chute (slide) is functional.  Still need to populate the mine with tourists, guide, and working miners spraying water on the salt to dissolve it into the pool.

I was unable to load this 15 second video file into PhotoBucket, and PB is now being a pill about photosharing with other websites.  I'm trying to use the link button above.  When I post this, and click on the link, the video does not come up - a page saying "download file" appears.  I wonder what the stumbling blocks are?

Edited by el Gato Gordo - 24 Aug 2017 at 4:10pm
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 9:23pm
Clicking on your link worked fine for me.  Looks good.

-- Ernest
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 10:15pm
Nice work!

Ralph.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 9:32am
time for a little update.

I have been unable to post photos here due to non-compliance with PhotoBucket's extortion scheme.  I thought that I had finally found a work-around, so today is an experiment.  No luck, still unable to post photos.

I have tried the Chrome work around, and also direct copy and paste.  Ah, well.  I may have to find a different photo hosting service.

Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic