Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

N Scale Layout: Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 5:51pm
Yeah, Brawa claims it is N scale, but if you know of one that is better proportioned to 1:160, please let me know - I have other places I would use them, too!  The nice thing about model railroading - the layout is never "done."

Cheers!
Gordon
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 11:04am
Yes, that is a big problem and I assume the one from Brawa for HO has the same size Disapprove
I hate when I buy stuff labeled for HO or 1/87 and when I got it to figure is not in scale.

I honestly didn't find any lights in that style that would look good in HO or even for N Scale. They are all to big. I used some lights that came with the kit as decoration and attached tiny SMD Led's to it but even those are to big in my opinion (see picture).

el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 11:47am
This is a test of how well photos are uploading.  And, by the way, the pic was taken at the Forney Transportation Museum Train Show, before the show opened.  After opening, there was no time for pics!

It took 56 seconds for the URL Box to be completed. Then it only was another 12 seconds to complete the posting of the photo.

Cheers, amigos!
Gordon

Edited by el Gato Gordo - 14 Aug 2016 at 11:50am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 7:49am
I just realized that I had not done an update in a while.  I've been enjoying everyone else's photos! So first, here are some spectators enjoying burning down the house on my layout at the Rocky Mountain Region NMRA Convention.  As usual, it is the only Euro layout and the only one that has pushbuttons for the spectators:

I've been working on the U-Bahnhof, my staging area.  The escalators are by Ngineer, available on Shapeways; added signage and raised the clearances on the balconies so I could run with the pantos up.

And this isn't much, but I added much needed guard rails to the road.  Guard rails again by Ngineer, via Shapeways.  Erik is very helpful when I need something that is not available elsewhere.

Cheers!
Gordon
michaelrose55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelrose55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 8:00am
Gordon, those escalators look fantastic!
Michael

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 8:21am
Thanks, Michael, but all credit to Erik (Ngineer) for doing custom heights on escalators, stairs, and reducing manufacturers' specs to 1:160 on the guard rails!  He is a great guy with whom to work.

Cheers!
G

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 2:32pm
I blame this on Michael....LOL  (Thanks, Michael!)  He keeps building and building.....  So I finally had to start a staging area off to one side of my portable layout.  Since I take the layout to shows, the new bit had to be detachable, and adjustable for height.  It is 24" by 64" - to fit available space, and has wheels on one end so I can get it out of the way when the main layout goes to shows.  I used a turnbuckle system to make the height adjustment on the wheel end:

This is my progress thus far:

It is not intended tp be a prototypical "yard," but I will put a Bahnhof in there and scenic it a bit, simply because I cannot bear to leave it bare.  And yes, this project is fueled by the giant bag of Weingummis on the far end of the yard!

Cheers!
Gordon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelrose55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by el Gato Gordo el Gato Gordo wrote:

I blame this on Michael....LOL  (Thanks, Michael!)  

Cheers!
Gordon
Gordon, don't worry, I can take it Big smile! It would be easier though if I had one of these big bags of Weingummy...

Merry Christmas!
Michael

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:18am
Some progress photos of my layout extension. 

I assembled my track, rearranging until I got the most storage vs scenery that I could, leaving room for a Bahnhof.  I marked the outline on the blue foam, then glued down Woodland Scenics foam roadbed and foam sheets. I masked around the foam, and also masked across, where the sliding bar for the points will be.

I reassembled the track once again, and detached the little spurs from the straight line of turnouts.  Lifted the line of turnouts, and liberally applied Elmer's to the roadbed.  At that point I removed the masking tape from the points areas.  Then I laid the first stretch of track, aligned it, and sprinkled fine gray ballast over the glued area.  A couple of flat boards with a little weight kept everything pressed nice and evenly.  When dry, I vacuumed the loose ballast and removed the rest of the tape.

I will touch up the side of the roadbed at the points with a brush and carefully applied ballast.  Later today I hope to lay and ballast the rest of the track.

Just thinking about ballasting Michael's layout made my eyes cross.  I figured there had to be an easier way to ballast than waiting until all the track is laid!  As it is, my ballast is not quite deep enough, not coming to the tops of the sleepers, but I think it will do.

Cheers!
Gordon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelrose55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:52am
Originally posted by el Gato Gordo el Gato Gordo wrote:

Just thinking about ballasting Michael's layout made my eyes cross.  I figured there had to be an easier way to ballast than waiting until all the track is laid!  As it is, my ballast is not quite deep enough, not coming to the tops of the sleepers, but I think it will do.

Cheers!
Gordon
Gordon,

When I'm ready to start ballasting I'll send you an invitation... Big smile!
Michael
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic