Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

N Scale Layout: Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 9:40pm
Just got home from the Denver Train Show.  It was mobbed!  Had crowds around the layout the entire weekend, I could barely get access myself to switch turnouts to change trains.  Best part, met a bunch of new friends interested in German model railroading.

A lot of fun, but I'm exhausted!

Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 11:46pm
Hello Gordon,

Great to see your photos -- and that the show was well attended.  This also looks like a good venue for this type of event.

Last November, I went to check out one of the major train shows in our area -- one at which I used to sell some of my photos, self-published book, postcards, etc. over a number of years -- and was really disappointed in a number of ways.

No, I didn't expect to see any European equipment -- though there have been occasional items at past shows.  But the show was in a large, badly lit exhibit hall at the N.C. state fairgrounds -- and even the largest displays were mostly lost in the vast space.

Other negative factors:
  • There really wasn't much in the way of interactive displays -- something that would give kids something to do.
  • The items that were for sale were mostly at prices that were above ones at which one could find the same items on the Internet.
  • Most vendors had made little effort to display their items in a creative way.
When I had a table at these shows, I had a background banner between two of my photographic lightstands.  That background display also incorporated several small bulletin boards on which I had information about the items I was selling.  And, I also provided bright canvas covers for the battered tables usually supplied at these shows.

No, I never made much money at these shows, considering the amount of time that it took to organize the items, set up, be there for the better part of two days, and then dismantle and haul everything home again.  But, for the most part, I enjoyed talking with people attending and did get some in-person feedback on the items I was selling.  I did give out business cards and occasionally got a couple of mail orders later on.

(Most of the vendors didn't even have any business cards, which cost next to nothing.)

I wonder if the sponsoring organization could do something to address the above issues -- or if the dreary venue is just too much to overcome.  (During the time that I had a table at these shows, the shows were in a different building at the state fairgrounds.)

There are other shows in North Carolina, but those are several hours away by car.

-- Ernest.
michaelrose55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelrose55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 7:52am
Originally posted by el Gato Gordo el Gato Gordo wrote:

Just got home from the Denver Train Show.  It was mobbed!  Had crowds around the layout the entire weekend, I could barely get access myself to switch turnouts to change trains.  Best part, met a bunch of new friends interested in German model railroading.

A lot of fun, but I'm exhausted!

Gordon,

It's a shame you weren't at that show when we lived in Colorado!
Michael
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 8:20am
There is a show in May in our small City.....hint , hint, hint LOL
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 8:31am
The organizers did a great job, from load-in to load-out.  There was traffic control and plenty of time.  This exhibit hall, the Denver Merchandise Mart, is designed for trade shows of various kinds.  There was a whole kids' area where children could play with trains hands on.  All of the children who visited my layout were well behaved, or, if too young to understand, were carefully supervised.  The hall was sold out for vendor space, and there must have been 30 layouts (one of which was European!) on exhibit. It was a well publicized show, even appearing on the community calendars of neighboring cities like Colorado Springs.

One of the advantages of my N scale layout is that it only takes me 5-7 minutes to unload everything from the horse trailer, set it aside, and move my rig out of the way.  Once I get my stuff to my set up location, it takes about 10 minutes to assemble and power on.  Then it takes about 1/2 hour to rail the trains and check everything over.  At that point I can be a tourist.

Yes, Michael!  I regret that we were not acquainted while you lived in this area! 

Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 6:03pm
Just a slight update.  I'm building Faller's Bonn Hauptbahnhof to be the station on my yard extension.  I'm using the Noch weathering powders to color the red sandstone and yellow brick structure, and the concrete steps.  It really takes the cursed plastic shine off of the parts:

I'm only partway through the build - haven't done the center hall yet, or any of the platform side, and I am saving roof structures (chimneys, etc) for last since they break off easily.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 8:10am
Looks good Gordon, you do a nice job in going in to details like those.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 11:22am

A slight interruption of the Bonn Hbf build.  My order for an Artitec greenhouse, #316.050, finally came in.  Out came the blue foam placeholder, and in went the new greenhouse, plus gardeners:

Now I think my Kleingärten are complete.  Maybe.

And by the way, thanks to Rey for tracking this down. It was not offered on the Reynauld's website, but I saw it on the Artitec site, and Rey ordered it for me. The extra effort is much appreciated!

Edited by el Gato Gordo - 30 Mar 2017 at 1:27pm
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 4:29pm
I have to remind myself that it is N-Scale

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 10:12pm
Back to the Bonn Hauptbahnhof....which I call Keinestadt Hbf.  It is mostly complete.  The flagpoles, flags, and a few gutters are not installed, waiting on wiring lights, and a more secure attachment to the layout.  But a few photos to update:

Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic