Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Digital Trains > AC Digital Trains
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with CS2 and automating controls etc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquaanox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with CS2 and automating controls etc
    Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 9:25am
hi - i was wondering if someone could help me order the correct items to expand on the abilities my starter set with cs2 and 2 trains. 

I have searched the forums and simply cannot get the correct information anywhere. What i would like to achieve is 100% digital control of automatic routes, turnouts, signals and the 2 trains that came with the starter set. I understand so far that this can be accomplished with the CS2.

First, some current issues: 

a) With just the basic out of the box setup i get an occasional overload warning that goes away on its own (i only have the two trains that come with the starter set). No sure why, looks like i'm using less than 1 amp. DO i need to get a booster ? if so, what else is needed in addition to a booster

b) on both locos, i cannot seem to get the squealing brakes to work - all other sound functions are working correctly. I think this is a config issue on the CS2. Any ideas ?

c) its very confusing if the new digital accessories will need a AC/DC converter or will work directly from the central station over AC ? Do i need more power packs ? how do they get wired in. I am interested in automating turnouts, signals and braking delay for the two trains i have. I may want to add a 3rd train later once i get this all working.  

Here is what i would like to accomplish:

1)      Automatic braking and running for at-least 2 trains that came in the starter set - will add a 3rd later.

2)      Signals and automatic turnout mechanism - and fully automatic running of 2 trains. 

What i dont understand is the following:

a) How do you achieve route control with cs2 ? is there a step by step guide ? 

Do I need to isolate tracks ? if so, what parts are needed. Different power supplies ? anything else ? 

b) I want to add sections with Braking delays  and signal lights ?

What type of signals and other accessories are needed  to accomplish this ?

c) the turnouts should also be fully automatic with the cs2. How ? 

thanks!!

BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 6:34pm
Hello:

While the command station may provide some elementary abilities to to do what you want to, this usually requires a quite complicated setup.  To begin with, there has to be some form of block detection in place, and some software which keeps track of what train is where.  Moreover, to automate things, instructions have to be sent from a computer to the command station so that the trains follow the planned programming.  For a small setup like two trains, it will be more effort than effect.  Moreover, running your trains fully automated may become quite boring soon.

Ulrich
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 7:08pm
However, learning to do all that, and implementing it, could keep a fellow interested and off the streets for years! 

At the Nuremburg Toy Fair in January I saw a  set up that kept track of the trains, and ran them, with a mini GPS system.  A receiving unit was mounted over the layout, more or less centered, and each train had a sending unit/decoder.  The trains' locations were displayed, live, on a LCD TV.  It was WAY COOL!

Unfortunately, I cannot find my file of flyers from that trip at the moment.  This may be it:

Cheers, and good luck - let us know how it goes, please.
Gordon

Edited by el Gato Gordo - 05 Dec 2015 at 7:14pm
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 3:39pm
Gordon,

I agree you can spend hours teaching you  on how automate your trains.  What I plan to do once I am retired  is the following:  Have the express and through freight trains automated, but run the locals manually.  In theory I have solved the problem, I just do not feel like installing the 60+ block detectors (and pay for the 4 BDL-16, software, and interface).

Ulrich
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 7:13pm
Hi, Ulrich -

I run my trains as you say: set the ICE or Thalys in motion, then operate the Regiobahn manually.  I'm happy with that.  Signals are tied to the status of the turnouts, and don't actually control the trains.

But the system that I was mentioning uses no block detectors whatsoever.  Each train has a GPS sending unit, attached to it's decoder; a small GPS receiving "satellite" is installed over the center of the layout.  Then you send the first Lok all around the layout, to all the tracks and sidings, to map the layout (onto your TV).  After that, the trains can run and be kept track of in real time, even in tunnels.

It's a pricey system (and therefore not for me), no doubt, but a heck of a lot easier than using block detectors.  I just thought I would put this info out there for all to see.

AS AN ADDENDUM: My brother Fred & I participated in Reynauld's Toy Fair Tour this year.  It was worth every penny!  We enjoyed the heck out of the Toy Fair, and also had a great time on the rest of the tour, riding trains, visiting the locomotive repair facility, Miniatur Wunderland, and all the fun stuff that Roman and Rey arranged.  I highly recommend you make your reservations soon!

Cheers, amigos!
Gordon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic