Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Miscellaneous
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MRC Tech 4 with Digital-chip locomotives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jumel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MRC Tech 4 with Digital-chip locomotives
    Posted: 29 May 2010 at 11:46am
Has anyone used the new MRC Tech 4 packs (Dual Pack 280, or other) for Analog DC operations with digitally chipped locomotives?  (Trix Selectrix, Lenz, etc)
I've previously run pure analog N scale with the older Tech II series with good results, but have not tried the high power pulse packs with my digitally-equipped engines.
Thank you!
Jumel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jumel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 6:55pm

Update:  I wrote MRC and they suggested the digital chip manufacturer (Trix, Lenz, etc) be contacted individually, but they stated the Tech-4 packs would not harm the digital sound components installed to NMRA standards many US manufactures are using. 

As a comparison, I ran my digital Minitrix 12320 BBII with the Trix half-pulse pack (brown with green lit dial in the middle, called the "Compakt Vario", then a modern (non pulse) Model Power "Electro 1.3 (amp)" pack and observed the following:
- Compakt Vario: The general performance of the Trix Vario is superb with most analog engines, the starting voltage registered at 2.5v and it works well for switching speeds given the consistent pulse control... my Analog BR 89 Minitrix creeps along without hesitation and you can hear the turn of the motor turning with the pulse.  With the digital chip locomotives (like the 12320) it still works well, but acceleration isn't as linear (perhaps partially due to the power packs design) and I noticed a few areas where the engine had very slight changes in acceleration.  Overall very good, but the Vario pack worked best with pure analog engines at swithing speeds. 
- Model Power Electro pack:  This transformer initially registers just below a volt, with a very linear change in voltage and smooth acceleration.  The performance with the digital BBII 12320 was smoother with this power pack, and it also works extremely well with the pure analog engines.  The bottom end slow speed was improved with this one to lower voltage, but the "lock" on consistent speed in switching goes to the Vario pack.  This is one of the best power packs for the money I found, I also think the MRC 1370 is a great buy too (it just takes up more space, which was an issue for me).

Best of luck, I hope this post helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic