Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > HO-Scale Corner > Marklin Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

initial hook up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: initial hook up
    Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 10:32am
I need help in setting up an older (non-digital) Marklin HO set that has been resurected from storage.
I mean very basic help. Red and brown wires from trans to feeder track; but how does yellow from trans go through the blue switch button box (#7072s, I also have 7210)? Yellow to female end of box, but from there to turn outs where do two blue and one yellow wire go? Do I need to link the male post of switch to a ground, and if so with what connector? I have lots of little male plugs, but no female. I can get the turnouts to function by fussing with bare wires. I cannot get the uncoupler to work by using switches, but it does work if connected directly to trans posts. I have 2 transformers ; a 10 amp and a 16va (#6507). The 10 has three plug-in terminals, the 16 has posts with screw connects.
   I have not been able to find anywhere on the net beginning start up directions -- lots of wiring diagrams, most of them digital. Manythanks to all Dick Warren
rawarren
in Vermont
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 8:16am
Maybe this helps a little bit (is in German but I guess you get the idea). I had not the time to translate right now, sorry.

If you have further question, please let me know.

Edited by RRVRR - 18 Dec 2015 at 8:20am
richard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 8:55am
Just working out kinks in accessing forum; viele danke for you reply -- it seems to be just what I need, but I'll have to brush up my German railway vocab. it looks like from the top drawing that what is called the Weichenlaterne stands for all lights that are on steadily. What is confusing from diagrams in general is what is left out. When you hook up a arrangement, how do you have all the yellow wires come back to the trans? -- by having a central yellow junction somewhere?

Also: separate area on concern: Is the C track easily compatible with the M track? I assume there is some psort of transition track available.

(Note: I live very much in the country and nearest dealer is prob 3 hours away so this is very helpful) Richard
rawarren
in Vermont
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 6:58pm
Yes, you must collect the yellow wires on something like this

I'm not a Maerklin user and therefor I can't answer questions about track, just general electric questions.
There are other guys here that are more qualified to answer.

merry Christmas

Edited by RRVRR - 22 Dec 2015 at 6:59pm
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 9:57pm
Hello:

Actually, you do not need anything like this, just a good soldering iron and a connector to solder them to.   Have not used any of the "fancy" electric stuff in decades.  I go to the local electronic supply store, get wires of different colors and solder everything together.  I try to keep some sane color scheme, but unfortunately do not stick religiously to it.  I got screw connectors to wire the two halves of the layout together.  This way, I do not need to cut wires when moving.

I did not get into this thread so far since I do not use Marklin switches.  I have a sole Marklin semaphore; and it is controlled by the blue wires going to the switches, the yellow wire goes to one output of the transformer.  The other output is connected to the switches.  Turnouts are operated the same way, decouplers function as half a turnout.  One wire goes to one switch, the other to the yellow wire collection point(s).

Hope that helps.

Ulrich

Edited by BR42 - 23 Dec 2015 at 3:39pm
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 3:31pm
Ulrich
you are absolutely right but that's why I wrote "something like this". If you are not comfortable with electric wiring you loose the overview really fast.
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 3:43pm
Markus:

Exactly.  The moment you add electrically controlled turnouts and other niceties to your layout, the wire pile will be growing.  Even with DCC, "just two wires" is a myth.  My DCC layout has about as much wire under it as my conventional layout did.  But they are somewhat shorter since they do not need to go from the turnout to the switch controlling it, only to the nearest accessory decoder.  However, unless every layout has an individual decoder, these add up soon.

Ulrich
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic