Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Digital Trains > AC Digital Trains
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

z21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z21
    Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 9:10am
Maybe this is not the place.

but I'm looking for some help with my z21 (white box)

I got one recently and I wanted to use it with my Marklin locos (39500 and 37359)

I'm made sure the wires are correct, set to Motorola , and everything but they don't work :(

I set up the address as the ones that the locos had from factory.

37359 turns the lights on right away as soon as I set it on the track, but no responsive using the mobile app.

The thing says ... DCC and Motorola compatible ... am I missing a setting??

anybody could shine some light??

el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 6:58pm
What do you mean, you set the address to what they were from the factory?   Factory loco and decoder settings are usually"3."

First set your lok on the programming track and read the address. Then program the address you want. Then go to locomotive settings and, with the "+" sign, add the lok to your library.

The lights come on regardless of lok address.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Gordon
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 4:25am
Gordon:

The procedure you described works in the NMRA DCC world.  Pabs has a Marklin locomotive, and Marklin likes to do things differently from the rest of the universe.  The 39500 should run, since it uses Motorola and not MFE.

Ulrich
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:25pm
Thanks, Ulrich

Obviously I didn't realize there was such a difference.

Cheers!
Gordon
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 7:40am

It is crucial that you select the Motorola format in the app before you enter the locomotive settings. The Motorola I and II formats can be used in addition to the DCC.
The speed steps settings in the app with "Motorola" symbolize the following:

• "14": Motorola MM I with address 1 to 80, 14 speed steps and F0
  • "28": Motorola MM II with address 1 to 255, 14 speed steps and F0 to F4
  • "128": Motorola MM II with address 1 to 255, 28 speed steps and F0 to F4.

The advanced speed steps are thereby encoded in the so-called "light-Trit".
Previous versions of the MM decoders might not be able to understand this format.
No matter whether the engine is controlled via app or hand controller, the decoder always will resort to the originally defined format in the Z21.

The z21 is developed for DCC use but Roco does not want to exclude the large Maerklin Customer base so manufacturer try to accommodate both worlds what often results in compatibly issues. I try to stay varietal so in my experience it is the best way to stay away from issues like that.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic