Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Breitenbach - Rosenheim Railroad Version II
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Breitenbach - Rosenheim Railroad Version II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 313233
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 7:15pm
Michael, April 1st isn't until Saturday.

Ah,well, we all get tired or burned out from time to time. Taking my small layout to shows keeps me invigorated. Always trying to come up with new scenes for the spectators.

Please hang around - your input and advice are always appreciated!
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 8:28pm
I hope that Michael is joking, but a large layout like this can lead to burnout.  Mine was just the right size to be doable, even twice the size would have resulted in an unfinished product.

Ulrich
Model Train Projects View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 8:06pm
Hey Michael,

sad to read that, but you need to do what is best for you. If you are doubt all the time, there will be no fun.
Maybe build a diorama, a farm or something like that, just buildings and landscape. If you later decide to build a layout again, you can integrate those :)
Br

Leif
michaelrose55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelrose55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 2:38pm

Thanks a lot everybody for all the suggestions. Right now I'm working on all possible solutions in both scales. I've started several plans for a revision of the German H0 railroad and I have made a new plan for a possible G&AM version as well. The G&AM plan is mostly complete so I'm going to post it here. This does not mean that it will be N scale again, just food for thought!

So here it is:

A larger plan is available here.

I have included three towns from the last version of the G&AM again: Georgetown, Gustavsburg and Barnesville.

• Maximum grade for the main line is 1.25% which is perfect for the N scale steamers.
  • The length of the main line is about 350 feet, the branch line run is about 150'.
  • Minimum visible curve radius is 32"
  • Minimum hidden curve radius is 19" 

So how does it look?

Michael
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 3:41pm
As always, a very interesting plan. I could spend the next 30 years scenicking such a plan! Such opportunities!
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 6:48pm
Michael:

It looks good.  However, it might be just too large for an individual to built.

I think you can get almost the same amount of operations with a single peninsular, and a hidden storage yard.  There has been a very interesting plan by Pelle Soeborg in this month's model railroader.  It features a twice around double track loop.  With some modification (=Europinization) to the station, it would result in a great operational layout that also would allow to sit back, run trains and do some switching at the same time.

You have seen pictures and plans for my layout.  At roughly 14'x12' it is the maximum size I can handle.  If I were to start again, I would plan an around the room layout along the lines of Pelle's with about the same real estate as my current one.  Definitely, no more track. 

Ulrich

Edited by BR42 - 11 Apr 2017 at 6:52pm
Model Train Projects View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 10:26pm
Hey Michael,

I think it is too little open track and too many stations, even in N scale. One long train by US measures e.g., the end would be still in the last station as the head already enters the next one...

Less is more, max. 2 "real" stations, not matter if H0 or N, rest landscape and track. The staging areas are you other 2 stations.

You might do 2 stations with one line branching off of one ending in a "Sackbahnhof" with just a few sidings and a "BayWa", so you get 3 stations. The rest open track, tunnels, bridges, etc.
Br

Leif
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 11:01pm
Michael,

A different way to approach this might be first figure out what you want to happen at variious parts of the layout -- and then figure out how to implement that.

For example, if a station is a junction between a main line and a branch line, what would happen there?  That could include:
  • Opposing mainline trains meeting there
  • Passengers transferring between through mainline trains and a branchline local originating there
  • Mainline trains continuing onto the branch or going from the branch onto the main line
  • Through freights setting out blocks of cars to be sent to local industries or team tracks
  • Local freight cars beein switched into blocks that can be picked up by through trains
  • A local freight assembling its cars and heading up the branch to work industries there
  • And the list could go on
Once you have that list, either mentally or on paper, Then figure out what kinds of track configurations you would need for this.

Keep in mind that in smaller stations -- anything short of a major city -- some tracks can be used by both passenger and freight trains, for example for meets or fore one train overtaking another.

I also agree with what others have suggested -- have more open mainline (without intermediate stations or with only very small stations at which only a few commuter trains stop).

Just some thoughts.

-- Ernest

Edited by Railwriter - 11 Apr 2017 at 11:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 313233
  Share Topic