Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Breitenbach - Rosenheim Railroad Version II
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Breitenbach - Rosenheim Railroad Version II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelrose55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Breitenbach - Rosenheim Railroad Version II
    Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 12:30pm
It's been about 3 years since I've last posted something in this forum. I've been building a large US themed N scale layout during that time which has recently been dismantled. Now I'm starting to build a German H0 layout again Smile.

As of now I'm still working on the layout room preparation, actual layout construction won't start until the middle of October. But at least I can post the track plan for now:

You can look at a pdf version of the plan here.
Michael
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 9:05am
Welcome back Michael,
It's nice that you decided to also post it on the Reynaulds Forum and not only in the German Stummiforum.de

As you know and I already told you - I like your layout plan. So hurry up and fix the office space for your lap so you can start with the new fun part Wink

Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 12:07pm
Hello Michael,

I was happy to see your post here.  Though I model European railroads in HO, I had been following construction of your N scale layout at gamrailroad.com, checking in almost every day.  Despite the difference in scale and location, I still learned a few techniques from your pictures.

With no new posts for over a month, I had begun to wonder what had happened.

Looking forward to following the progress of your European layout!

-- Ernest

el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 5:09pm
I always learn something from other people's build threads. Though I model N scale, I'll follow your progress here (and elsewhere).

Cheers!
Gordon
michaelrose55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelrose55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 11:56am
I've had a few people tell me that I had too many stations too close together on this layout. I always listen to critique and so I looked which station could be removed without giving up too many things that I like and want to keep. In the end I removed the small branch line station at the back which really was too close to the big city area. 

Now the question is: was this a good idea?

As always a link to the PDF.

Michael
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 2:25pm
Hello Michael,

That's difficult to say.  If the branch line station was sufficiently high up in elevation, that might not have been a problem.  You could always add a ridge with a short tunnel to divide up the area.

I have a lot less space than you do, so I will have to squeeze in several stations fairly close together, though I will try to put enough scenic material between them to differentiate them.

I also plan to have certain operating "rules" that will differentiate the stations.  For example, only work trains will be permitted to operate between stations with any cars ahead of the engine.

-- Ernest
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 4:22am
Hello Michael:

I agree with Ernest, it depends very much on how you run your railroad.  If your plan is to create a realistic replica of a rail-line, then you have to keep your station separate, on the other hand if you are mostly concerned with operations, then you need to have a few stations, and preferably a branch line too.  I like the above design a lot, it has all the elements for operation and relaxed train running.  However, all is a compromise in model railroading.  Even a 20'x20' train room corresponds to an area of .5km x .5km.

Ulrich

Edited by BR42 - 30 Sep 2016 at 4:26am
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 8:00am
I think you could go either way; it is a fantastic plan.  The branch line, being up the hill, could easily fit into the scenario.  But without it, you can give the illusion of more distance.  In the end, there is only one person who needs to be happy with your layout.....

Cheers!
Gordon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelrose55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 4:33pm

As you can see when you look at the track plan I've created 2 new rooms next to the staging area. One will become my model railroad shop. Finally all the supplies and workbenches will be removed from the layout room!

This will be the new modeler's paradise Smile:

Michael

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelrose55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 2:05pm
Today is the day when construction of the new layout actually begins! I originally wanted to move my work shop first but most of the stuff is hidden under a pile of benchwork and lighting fixtures so I've decided to rearrange the benchwork and lighting first and move the work shop later when I can find everything again. To remind everybody how the room looks like today I took these pictures:

Michael
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>
  Share Topic