Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Military Trains
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Military Railroad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 6:27am

Ernest, thank you for the info on the photos. Let's see what I do, it sounds like it will be a little pain to post the photos in at another site and then use the link to connect them to the post. It's all good. Again thank you for the info.

Ulrich, thank you for the pack of information. My trains will mostly be very short trains in length. I have a small layout. A foot wide shelf by 28 ft long in a "U" shape in a 12 x 12 ft room. It will definitely be more of a switching layout than anything else. There will be the city area, then the "military" area which that is the area to load/unload the tanks and the heavy mechanism for the army and last section will be the passenger station with a small engine facility. The whole thing will have somewhere between 9-12 turnouts. That is plan for now. But things changes as the building of the layout goes.

Nick Biangel
USMC
skyhawk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 7:32am
Well, I am in the process of painting the back drop blue and installing it on the layout. Hopefully by Saturday the back drop will be completely installed. I am looking forward to start laying track gthis weekend.
Nick Biangel
USMC
skyhawk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 8:46am

Ok Ernest, I took your advice and I opened an album in photo bucket. Hopefully this works:

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/jarhead14/media/aftershelf_zpstb6ada8h.jpg.html?o=0

Nick Biangel
USMC
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 3:34pm
Dear Nick:

Nice locos, except you have a slight problem.  The BR50 you have is an Era III loco (1956 - 1968), and has the smoke deflectors which were installed after the war.  Most 50's had the large deflectors well into the mid 1950s similar to this one made by Tillig:

Also, the sign "DB"  on the cab was not introduced till 1956.  Locos built in 1939 had the eagle with the stretched wings and a swastika at the bottom.

Ulrich
skyhawk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 5:14am

Ulrich, before I decided to get this version of the 50, Roco has both version. I was debating between this type of deflectors and the big ones. I could not decide. So I started to look/search at the internet and YouTube and the one I saw that was the most common was the one with this type. Now I can see why because this are the newer ones. Boy oh boy ! All the wrong decisions !!! (too funny) Well I wonder if I can modified it by replacing the defectors, is it possible to get the older style deflectors ? The DB I am not too concern since I was going to remove it and get the eagle with the swastika decal for the cab. Most likely the one that I am going to use the most will be the BR80 and the BR64. Keep throwing info and helpful hint at me...as you can see I really need all the help I can get.  Too funny after all my life doing modeling railroad I am back to square one , learning new things by doing the European theme railroad. IT DOES NOT GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS. I am really enjoying this fresh new experience in the hobby. I appreciate the help.

Nick Biangel
USMC
skyhawk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 5:23am
I just wrote to Reynauld's to see if they sell the deflectors to replace them. Maybe they can send it with the BR64 engine.
Nick Biangel
USMC
Model Train Projects View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 10:32pm
Hey Nick,

it also depends in which area of Germany you layout is planned. The 64 wasn't used in the north or Prussia at all, they used the T18 ( Class 78 ) and mostly the 55 ( G8 ).
The 50's been not used for military yet, they tested them in freight service to see how they perform. Also, you only can buy era II models, not the are III 50. The 50 is actually completely out of place for the desired use at that time.

Most common military train loco were the 55's and 57's ( G10 ), sometimes 56's ( G8.3 ).
For shunting they mostly use the T3 ( 89 7*** ), heavier shunting T16.1 ( 94's ). If you like ( like me ) the T14 ( 93's ) you could use them as well.

At that time the military used the readily available loco classes, which were easy to fix, made in masses and got lot of interchangeable parts, like the Prussian loco types. The "modern" loco's weren't built in big numbers yet and the class 44 couldn't run on branch lines. 
Br

Leif
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 5:36am
Leif:

I agree, anything Prussian was considered most suitably:  Simple, rugged, easy to maintain.  The only problem was the top speed: About 37.5 mph with the 57 (the 55 somewhat slower) and 41 - 44 mph for the various 56's and 58's.  The heavy freight loco for the first two years of the war would be the 44 class: Heavy puller with a top speed of 50mph, albeit with an axle load of 20t only suitable for mainlines in top condition.  The 50 had no real impact till 1941.

Ulrich
Model Train Projects View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 6:39pm
Hey Ulrich,

The scheduled speed for freight trains in that era was 60km/h, so all but the 55 could reach that speed and wouldn't hold up traffic.
On branch lines, the general max speed was 60km/h, also for passenger service. Only main lines had max speed of up to 120km/h ( Some exclusions 160km/h ), the scheduled freight max speed was 80km/h there. Later on ( after WWII ) some branch lines got upgraded signaling and got ready for 80km/h. Ever since, till today, everything above 80km/h line speed is considered a main line and need to be equipped for that. 

Br

Leif
Br

Leif
skyhawk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:25am

Wow !!  A lot of info. Everything that I've read it tells that this engine was used to prep for war. Maybe if I model 1941-42 instead of 1939 will make better sense? 

The DRB Class 50[1] is a German class of 2-10-0 locomotive, built from 1939 as a standard locomotive (Einheitsdampflokomotive) for hauling goods trains. It had one leading axle and five coupled axles and was one of the most successful designs produced for the Deutsche Reichsbahn.

This class was procured as part of the German Nazi party's preparations for war that led into the Second World War.

Nick Biangel
USMC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic