Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Military Trains
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Military Railroad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 6:44pm
Hey Nick,

that statement is incorrect. The Class 50 was always a full featured and equipped loco. The so called war loco's been the classes 42 and 52 ( Not to confuse with the later DR ( GDR ) class 52 and the 042 and 052 Class of the DB ( GER ), The 052 was in fact a 50, but because of the new computer ready numbers, they had to split the 3000+ Class 50 locos in several class ranges, since each class range had a max of 999 loco's. For the 042, it was the oil fired version of the class 41 ).

Br

Leif
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 4:39am
Nick,

I agree with Leif.  The 50 started life as a replacement for a whole bunch of older locomotives for branch lines which the DRG had inherited from the State railroads.  While speed on branch lines remained slow until after WWII, the problem faced by the DRG was that quite a few of trains from these lines also moved for part of their way on mainlines.  It was then that engines like the 57 became a moving roadblock.  This one of the reasons why an engine like the 24 class, which was designed as an engine for secondary lines, had a top speed of 90km/h.

The BR 50 was simplified somewhat in 1941/42, but its original design at pre-war specs limited the amount of simplifications.  However, a 52 would not be correct for the type of layout you envision either.  It would be hauling supply trains and medium freights which carry essential war material and food.  The same is true for the 42 class.  Since you envision a branch line, the 57 or a comparable engine is most suited.  I would try to sell the 50 for a good price, or try to trade it for a 57 or similar engine.

Ulrich
skyhawk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 9:34am

Guys, thank you so much for the information. I guess I will use the BR80 and the BR64 for the layout, as per your advice and I think I will keep the BR50 for display.

I added the LED's to the shelf. Now I need to install the valance to cover the lights from the front.

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/jarhead14/media/LEDoffice_zps90imqng0.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Nick Biangel
USMC
skyhawk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 9:38am
One more thing I need to pick your brains- Couplers, which type you recommend ? All of my rolling stock are Roco, I've heard that the Fleishman Profi are one of the most popular. Any comments ? I am planning to do a lot of switching.
Nick Biangel
USMC
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 10:57am
I use Roco universal couplers on my freight cars and locomotives.  I've written more about them before.  They have two main advantages:
  • They allow advanced/delayed uncoupling.  (In other words, you can uncouple at one location but then push the car further -- and pull away from it.)
  • They mate not only with each other, where they give give a good connection, particularly when pushing cars during switching, but also with standard Roco couplers -- and older cars that do not have interchangeable couplers, but do have the hook and loop couplers.  (I do have some older cars from Kleinbahn, an Austrian manufacturer, which have these non-interchangeable couplers, but which otherwise fit fine into my planned layout.)
In addition, these couplers are also used on Roco locomotives with digital uncouplers (or where Roco digital couplers have been retrofitted) so, again, they work extremely well with those locomotives during switching.

Another useful feature is that you do not have to change out all your couplers at the same time as the universal couplers still mate with the standard couplers with which most Roco (and other) cars are delivered.

I think some of the other members of this board also use the Roco universal couplers.

And, as mentioned before, each pack of Roco universal couplers comes with a hand uncoupling tool for manual uncoupling where needed.

I've also mentioned this before:  While I do plan to use electric uncouplers at some locations, particularly tracks further back from the edge of the layout, I also plan to use a manual uncoupling tool at many locations near the edge of the layout.  Installing electric uncouplers at every possible location where I might need to uncouple cars would quickly get very expensive.

-- Ernest

Model Train Projects View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 1:19pm
Hey Nick,

Class 80 is usable for shunting only, but they used mostly T3's for that. Remember, we are pre war, they used the available loco's, the 80's been fairly new and used by the DRB on there freight stations, rather then somewhere for military use. But you could say, that they got lucky and an 80 was used for that. The 64 is too weak for freight operations, it's designed for light passenger service on branch lines, with the capability to run on mainlines. If you like tank locos, the class 86 would be the right choice here ( modern ), or the T14.1 and T16.1.

Br

Leif
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 5:05am
Hey Nick:

The 64 is great for passenger trains.  Watch the Great Escape where one of them makes an appearance in the scenes on the train.  It was used on light freights, although the 86 was designed to handle freight jobs.  However, it was on passenger trains too.

Ulrich
EJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 8:24pm

If you are interested in adding an airport to your layout Reynaulds sells this wonderful unit. It is AC so you have to replace the wheel sets to run on DCC HO track. Something to consider

Marklin - 7pc German "Airplane Transport Freight Car Set of the DRG

EJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:33pm

Thanks for this post as I can add the Fleischmann 523610 and 5236008 to my tank/troop train.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic