Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Scenary Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Road markings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Road markings?
    Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 1:02pm
Question:  How are (those of you that have/are building layouts) doing road markings?

I'm talking particularly about the solid of dashed lane markings and down the middle of a road.

I know Faller makes dry transfers -- at least in HO -- for this and have one of these sheets.

I also know that you can buy -- from Faller, Busch, and others -- complete self-adhesive roads will all the markings.  Have some of those, too.

But in towns, I plan to use some of the Walthers street system components and I'm wondering what the options are for adding markings to those.

Thanks.

-- Ernest

el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 4:08pm
I am using a variety of techniques. Some roads are the Busch foam product, pre-marked. They have their place, I guess. Some items, such as bus stops &crosswalks, are dry transfer.

For others, I used a felt tipped white pen and ruler.   On curves I bent a strip of styrene as a guide.

I, too, wonder about the methods used by those who really do this well.

Cheers!
Gordon
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 12:59pm
I just mask them out with masking tape and then spray paint them with a spray bottle or an airbrush (see picture) in thin layers because you don't won't the paint to fade out. I also used a pinstripping tool like the one from Beugler (professional grade and unfortunately not cheap), click on the link:

http://www.beugler.com/how-the-tool-works/

There is also a guiding strip available.

On the picture you see the difference, the white was applied in a few layers, the yellow for the middle strips was one coat, so the paint was running under the masking tape. This also can be easily prevented if when the masking is done you apply another coat of the gray street color. if the layer is thick enough it closes the gab between the masking tape and the street but since it is the same color any fading in is not visible because it is the same color. When it is try the new paint has no chance to fade. This will give you a sharp marking if you carefully remove the masking tape.

Edited by RRVRR - 17 Nov 2016 at 1:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic