Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Historical Notes and Real Trains
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Roundhouses and turntables

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roundhouses and turntables
    Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 2:56pm
I have noticed that many modellers using roundhouses and turntables on their layouts run one or two feeder tracks in from the same general direction.  I was doing a Google Maps search of facilities at Lichtenfels and came across this space saving idea:

For those who might be in the planning stages....

Cheers!
Gordon
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 3:34pm
I'm always fascinated by the "spiderweb" catenary that makes rolundhouses usabled for electric locomotives.

I considered having a turntable and roundhouse on my layout, but ultimately concluded that it would take up too much space and not really fit for a moderate size city.  (I have a four-stall Kibri roundhouse built years ago, that I will try to get rid off later.)

I do have a two-stall roundhouse (my railroad museum) in my end-of-branchline town -- but that's just served by a 15 degree switch.  (The backstory is that this town once had a turntable but it was taken out for space reasons when operation on the line was switched to tank engines and double-ended diesels.

-- Ernest

el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 5:28pm
Looking at that pic again, I don't think there is any catenary.  No shadows of masts or other supports near the turntable or even on the short spurs leading to it.  You can see the shadows of the masts elsewhere.

There appears to be a diesel switcher and possibly a couple of e-Loks at the round house.  Do e-Loks have an auxiliary engine (diesel?) for such situations?

Just wondering,
Gord
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 6:11pm
Hello:

Yes, I have an turntable and a three stall round house.  It is located in the stub station, namely at the far right end.  I used the Kibri Ottbergen shed, and a Fleischmann turntable.  While the table is quite big, I got it for several reasons:

a)  I needed a TT to turn my steam loco around so they did not have to go tender first.

b) I always wanted to have, and had a location to put it without killing the rest of the layout.

c) I picked it up for an excellent priced in excellent condition.

d)  I had a good "prototype" explanation.  The stub end station used to be a through station where before WWII steam trains changed to electric working.  In the final days of the war, retreating German troops blew up the tunnels and bridges beyond the modeled layout.  This made the station effectively the terminal point of the line, and the large engine facilities are now used to house and service the locos that bring trains from the mainline (aka the layout) to the stub end station.   

Ulrich
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by el Gato Gordo el Gato Gordo wrote:

Looking at that pic again, I don't think there is any catenary.  No shadows of masts or other supports near the turntable or even on the short spurs leading to it.  You can see the shadows of the masts elsewhere.

There appears to be a diesel switcher and possibly a couple of e-Loks at the round house.  Do e-Loks have an auxiliary engine (diesel?) for such situations?

Just wondering,
Gord

No, I don't think that particular roundhouse has catenary and is probably used mostly by diesels.

Most Austrian turntables and roundhouses do have catenary.

Yes, some modern electrics have a so-called "last mile" auxiliary diesel that lets them move short distances without catenary.  This is mostly intended for such situations as intermodal facilities where, due to containers being lifted on and off cars from overhead, there cannot be any catenary -- and you do not want to have to bring in another (diesel) engine.  The auxiliary diesel is typically limited to low speeds, but can still pull a substantial number of cars. 

The last-mile diesel is an option on some modern electric locomotives.  Some railroads are buying the locos with the diesel, some without.  (A clue is often the presence of additional vents in the side of the locomotive body.)

However, should an electric loco fail (or have some other major problem) and the only nearby shop be a roundhouse without catenary, more than likely, the electric would be moved into the roundhouse by a shop switcher.  Most larger service facilities have a dedicated diesel shop switcher whose primary purpose is to move around equipment being serviced.  Most turntables are long enough to hold a modern diesel or electric along with a small diesel switcher.

-- Ernest
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic