Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Miscellaneous
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum server down

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelrose55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum server down
    Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 5:41am
Is it just me or is this forum really down all the time? Couldn't get access yesterday evening, have had the same problem several times every week for the last two months since I'm back here. Is this normal???
Michael
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 11:48am
No, it's not just you.

One unfortunate fact is that the forum is under nearly constant attack by bots that are trying to post spam.  I don't know if this is what causes the system to go down, but I suspect it's at least a contributing factor.

Also, I assume that the forum server is a lower priority than the other servers that handle the basic business activities.

-- Ernest
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 7:09pm
Interestingly, I've noticed another German rail forum going down at about the same times. I blame the CIA -keep an eye on the Culinary Institute of America!   They can be so sneaky!

But, yes, it is frustrating at times. I can't believe how addicted to the forum I've become.

Cheers!
Gordon
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 4:48am
Hello:

I have no idea what is causing it, but have observed it too.  I believe it might be the NSA (not CIA) checking on us since we use suspicious words like "trains, railroad, built take apart, solvents,....".  Obviously, we have sinister plans, and are not pursuing the world's greatest hobby.

Ulrich
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 6:56am
This is depending on the Domain/Webspace hoster but should not appear on a regular basis as we have it right now. That the Forum is not accessible almost to certain times everyday is since the last two to three weeks. Also, the hoster should have counter measures in place to prevent most of the web attacks.

On of the German forums where Michael and I are also members they got also some problems when a certain amount of users are online at the same time. There User base is a little bit over 20.000 and when it happens I see that around 30-40 "Members" are signed in, not counting visitors and bots. This is founded by a individual and he said he can fix it to upgrade to a larger package but this would cost him more money and nobody actually likes to pay for it. He said if he do it he has to implement advertising but people do not like that either, so we have to live with a lagging forum ones awhile.
It is not that often as recently here.

I would talk to my hoster/provider about this problem. Maybe you should make Reynaulds aware of this problem. If it is hosted by a free hoster/provider they usually limit the traffic because they have to pay for it. The more this community is growing the worst it will get.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 9:10pm
I think someone doesn't  want us to discuss European trains and model railroading.Unhappy

-- Ernest
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 4:40am
Envy, sheer envy.

Cheers!
Gordon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 11:19am
Glad to see the forum is back; I really missed it the past few days.

Everything I need for current projects is on backorder (from several different sources), and even the December issue of my Austrian model train magazine has not arrived yet.  It usually arrives between the 6th and 16th of even numbered months and last December it arrived within the first week of the month.

Oh, well ...

-- Ernest

BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 10:42am
Ernest:

I have the same problem with my MIBA.  I had called them once and they told me it takes a couple of days from Germany to Australia, but much longer to the US because of the USPS.

Ulrich

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 10:52am
On the other hand, I ordered some items from Europe on eBay -- and they got here within six days this time.  (Ten days is about average, normally.)

From what I understand, it's not the postal service -- it's customs.  When someone in Europe provides a tracking number for a package, it often gets from Germany (even smaller towns) to New York in 3-4 days.  It then typically sits in customs for at least three days -- and then another three days to get to North Carolina.

I think that around Christmas time, customs is so overwhelmed that a lot of packages just get sent on without being looked at.

-- Ernest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic