Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Miscellaneous
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strong dollar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strong dollar
    Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 1:24pm
I haven't seen much news coverage, but the U.S. dollar has continued to gain against the Euro.

It is at a ten-year high today.  Of course, there is no guarantee that the figures will hold.

About two years ago, a dollar was worth only .72 Euro.  Today it is above .96 Euro.  (If the trend continues, the dollar could soon pull even with the Euro.)

(These are bank rates; individual transactions will not be quite as favorable, with commissions being factored in.)

But, at least for now, this bodes well for the prices of items produced in Europe.

-- Ernest

Model Train Projects View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 9:09pm
Hey Ernest,

that is very bad news for Reynaulds thought ;) Considering that we do not have to pay VAT ( 19% in Germany ) and that MSL get special rates from some manufacturers, it might be even cheaper to buy stuff from them with shipping compared to Reynaulds. I personally buy everything I can get from Reynaulds, but some manufacturers are not available, so I'm forced to buy in Germany from that retailer killing MSL.....
Br

Leif
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 9:48pm
I buy from a variety of sources.  Yes, in most cases, buying from Reynauld's works out fine, and Rey has been willing to order items for me that are not in stock.  

After all, I assume te strong dollar will also help Rey buy at better wholesale prices.

But, as you have noted, Rey cannot stock everything, so sometimes I buy directly from Europe, particularly items that are already produced in very small quantities.

At least a third of what I buy is on eBay, as, by the time I determine I want something, it is often long out of production.  With eBay, the major pitfall is that some sellers want huge shipping costs -- sometimes four or five times what others are charging for shipping the same or similar items.

On the other hand, there are at least a couple of items on Reynauld's consignment shop list that might be of interest.

-- Ernest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic