Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > N- Scale Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking Help With Lighting Kit Please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomme4moi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking Help With Lighting Kit Please
    Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 7:42am
Hi. I am a novice model railroader and am seeking some help please.  I purchased the Fleischmann 9457 lighting unit and am attempting to install it in a Fleischmann N-scale passenger car.  One of the installation instructions is unclear to me.

The lighting kit comes with two adhesive-backed strips that are to be attached to the inside ceiling of the passenger car.  I removed the ceiling, but I am not sure which strip to apply first.  The instructions (see attached image in Dropbox link) suggest that the foil-like strip should be applied first, then the brownish-gray strip applied on top of the foil-like strip.  This means the foil-like strip will be completely covered by the brownish-gray strip.  That seems odd to me.

Can someone help me understand the purpose of the two strips, and the correct sequence of attaching them to the ceiling of the passenger car?  Thank you!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53682537/Lighting.png
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 7:52am
As this is not an LED kit, I believe the metallic strip and the other strip are to protect the plastic shell of the car from melting in the heat generated by the bulb.  It will also prevent light leakage through the car body.  I would put the metal foil on first, as instructed.

Cheers!
Gordon
pomme4moi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomme4moi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 11:02am
Thank you Gordon.  Very helpful.

I installed the light.  It works, but flickers a lot as the train moves.  Maybe that's just how they work, or maybe I need to look into a different type of lighting kit.  Any advice?

Thanks again!
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 11:14am
You can try to improve the flicker situation by making sure your tracks are clean and so are the wheels used for current pickup.

However, in the long term, you will probably be happier with LED lighting.  I don't know about the situation in N, but in HO, several manufacturers make LED lighting sets that include a capacitor that stores a small amount of power.  This prevents the flicker as the car passes over places with poor electrical pickup.

While visiting a club recently, someone showed me a new N scale lighting kit that doesn't use wheel pickup at all.  The light kit has a battery.  The lights are turned on and off with a reed switch, which is activated by passing a magnet over the top of the car.  I'm not sure who the manufacturer  is -- Arnold?

-- Ernest

pomme4moi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomme4moi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 11:23am
Thank you Ernest. I appreciate the help.  I'll send a note to Fleischmann asking for an LED kit recommendation, and to Arnold asking if they offer the "no wheel pickup" option.
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 12:36pm
Thanks, Ernest - I found your info interesting also!

Cheers!
Gordon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic