Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Digital Trains
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help with ECoS command center and Switch Pilots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with ECoS command center and Switch Pilots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mabar030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with ECoS command center and Switch Pilots
    Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 2:42pm
Hello all,

I am installing an ECoS command system on an N scale layout and I am using Switch Pilot accessory decoders to power the Fleischmann solenoid turnout machines. When I throw a turnout on the EcoS display, 3 or 4 turnouts will throw on the layout, as opposed to the one that I was intending to throw. If I disconnect the power from 3 of the 4 Switch Pilots that are powering the 15 turnouts, then I can throw a turnout on the ECoS command center and it will throw the correct turnout. But as soon as I reconnect power to the other 3 Switch Pilots and then try and throw a turnout from the ECoS command center, 3 or 4 turnouts will throw. 

So my main question is this: how do I reset the 4 Switch Pilots so that the turnouts connected to them are deleted from each Switch Pilot's memory, 

Secondly, how can I start all over again and program each individual turnout sequentially, from the first turnout to the 15th? I followed the Switch Pilot re-set instructions that say to disconnect power from a Switch Pilot, then press on the programming button, and then re-connect power. When I did this, nothing changed. I still had the same problem of multiple turnouts being thrown when I selected only 1 turnout from my ECoS command center screen.

I have deleted all 15 turnouts from the ECos screen and tried to reprogram them sequentially all over again, but I get the same problem. 

Thanks,

Mabar030 
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 5:44pm

I also have an ESU switch pilot somewhere lying around but have not installed it yet. First of all, ESU recommends setup the decoder’s prior installation. Therefore nothing else will interfere with it like other decoders.

It seems like that all your decoders have the same address and if you like to switch a turnout all other switch decoder with the same address will do the same. What you like to archive is that every decoder has its own individual address that does not overlap with another.

Here are two methods to do it
One the Programming Track:
if the decoder are already installed just unhook the power (if you use a different power supply other then the DCC track power) and the DCC system and use two wires and connect the switch pilot power input and the DCC inputs to the programming track of the Ecos. On channel one must be a load connected that draws min. 60mA like a light bulb or a resistor of 180 Ohm.

With CV1 and 9 you can switch the address and this is what you need, so here is a short list what you need to do.

Step 1 - Hook up to the first decoder to the programming track
Step 2 - write the value 1 in CV1
Step 3 - Write the value 0 in CV9
Step 4 - disconnect it and hook it back up to your track
Step 5 - In the Ecos ad the switches 1 to 4 and test if the connected solenoids are working

Step 6 - Hook up to the second decoder to the programming track
Step 7 - write the value 2 in CV1
Step 8 - Write the value 0 in CV9
Step 9 - disconnect it and hook it back up to your track
Step 10 - In the Ecos ad the switches 5 to 8 and test if the connected solenoids are working

Step 11 - Hook up to the third decoder to the programming track
Step 12 - write the value 3 in CV1
Step 13 - Write the value 0 in CV9
Step 14 - disconnect it and hook it back up to your track
Step 15 - In the Ecos ad the switches 9 to 12 and test if the connected solenoids are working

Step 16 - Hook up to the fourth decoder to the programming track
Step 17 - write the value 4 in CV1
Step 18 - Write the value 0 in CV9
Step 19 - disconnect it and hook it back up to your track
Step 20 - In the Ecos ad the switches 13 to 16 and test if the connected solenoids are working

This is out of the manual from ESU and should work.

In addition, the switch pilot has also two servo outputs and in case you like to use those you have to change the setting CV35 and CV36 on each decoder.
------------------------------
On the Main Track (POM - Programming On Main)
In case you like to do it in POM mode, here is the sequence to use out of the manual of the switch decoder (I would recommend to setup the 15 switches first in the Ecos with addresses 1 to 15):

1. Select the turnout number on your digital system that you want to assign to the first output of your Switch Pilot. Proceed as per the instructions of your handheld throttle or your command station as if you wanted to switch the respective turnout (for ECoS users: refer to chapter 13 in the ECoS manual).
2. Turn on the power supply of your layout.
3. Press the programming button and hold it long enough until (after about two seconds) the LED blinks as follows: short, pause, short, pause, and so on.
4. You may now release the button; the decoder is in learning mode.
5. Now switch the turnout you have selected in step 1 on your handheld controller or your command station. It is immaterial whether you switch from “straight” to “diverging route” or vice versa.
6. Once the decoder has “understood” the address it will confirm this by lighting up the LED for one second.
7. Then the Switch Pilot goes back to the normal operating mode and the LED extinguishes.
Should you have programmed another turnout instead of the first one of the group of four the correct group will be automatically detected and programmed.
-------
To make this procedure a little bit more clear, the way the switch pilot (and a lot of others) are set up in in groups of four, means in the above step's for decoder 1 you push switch 1, for decoder 2 you push switch 5, for decoder 3 you push switch 9, for decoder 4 you push switch 13 since those are always the first addressable in this group of for, the others fall in line and set automatically.

After you are finish (doesn't matter which step of the above you do) it should look like this below and your track switches should work individual.

Decoder 1 had switch address 1-4
Decoder 2 had switch address 5-8
Decoder 3 had switch address 9-12
Decoder 4 had switch address 13-16

I hope this helps Wink

Edited by RRVRR - 10 Jan 2017 at 5:46pm
best, Markus

Mabar030 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mabar030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 7:20pm
Hi Markus,

First, thank you for your reply. It was very informative.

I have already tried the POM method and it has not corrected the situation. Also, I need to have a programming track to try the first method, and, I don't know how to access the CV settings.

-John
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 11:38pm
The Ecos has on the back a connector labeled "Programming Track" beside the power jack.

here you can connect the switch pilot but please refer to the manual of the switch pilot, it is on page 17 where it shows how to connect it.

Link to the manual:
http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/

Please also check in the Ecos that your tracks switches are set with individual addresses as stated in the previous posting. If this is not set right you do not will see any result that the decoder changed.

Please also check if the decoder goes in programming mode after you cycle the power and http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/ush and hold the programming button until it flashes red. Kepp also in mind that POM only works if you know the Address of the decoder. If they have all the same address (what I guess you have) it will not work since you will program them all at once. You have to cut the power of and start only from the back, means with decoder 4 and outputs 13-16, then 3 and 2. Decoder 1 is in the mode you like to have it.

Unfortunately you have to understand a little bit the concept of who this works together and please red the manual of the decoder from site 16 to 23. It is also suggested to take another look to the manual of the Ecos.   
best, Markus

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic