Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Digital Trains
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Roco 10884 Installation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GCRailways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roco 10884 Installation
    Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 7:12pm

Hello,

I am struggling right now to install one of these decoders into a Roco SBB Ae 6/6.  I see the channel along the side of the frame down to the battery box (?) that the wires are supposed to follow, but the body shell just won't fit properly with the decoder installed.  I think either that channel is too shallow or the light bars inside the shell are obstructed by the wires to the decoder plug.  I tried running the wires underneath the light board, but that didn't work.  I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong; please help!

Thanks,

Aaron

BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 5:50am
Aaron,

Get a TCS decoder, they have very thin wires; and put the 10884 into reserve for the next project.  The wire bundle on the Roco appears to be very thick.  If you are set to use the Roco, see if there are some wires that are not used.  Clipping these may thin the bundle.  I'd go with the TCS though. 

Ulrich
GCRailways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GCRailways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:41am
I'll try that. I may even get one for my Be 4/6, because that was a tighter-than-comfortable fit, too. I was originally going to use Digitrax decoders, but those were ever so slightly too large for the space allotted.

It perplexes me that Roco's own decoder does not fit it's own locomotives, even thought the locomotive manuals recommend it.
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 4:53pm
Aaron:

I have put the Digitrax DZ123 and DZ143 into all Roco locos.  The fit into the tenders of locos like the 01, 17, 23, 41, 44, 50 and 58.  The 57 needed some finning of the coal heap.  Only in the 1189 and the E71 I needed a Z2 from TCS.  The DZ146 is the same decoder as the DZ143, but with different software.  It can handle the same currents as the DZ143, but was officially downrated to avoid users pushing the envelope.  Got that directly from Digitrax:  If the DZ143 worked with your motor, so will the DZ146.  The DZ123 is still in production.

If you have some locos with pick-up problems, try the K4 from TCS.  I put one into a 65 from Fleischmann.  Before the loco panicked if just saw a switch, now it sails through everything.

Ulrich
Model Train Projects View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 3:03pm
Hey All,

I never had that issue using Zimo Decoders. The MX623 is small and can handle H0 locos. Problems is, Roco used ESU Decoders in the past, so older locos are made for them. They haven't changed the item number, but switched to Zimo. For some reason, Roco uses the bigger decoders like MX630 or even MX633.

I had a lot of problems to get US brand decoders to work right with the old Fleischmann motor, the Zimo works best with them.
Br

Leif
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic