Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Digital Trains
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Decoder? problem with Hobbytrain Lok

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decoder? problem with Hobbytrain Lok
    Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 7:34pm
I have a BR 189 from the Hobbytrain City Nightline 4 piece set H2905 that stops running after about 1 1/2 times around the table.  After a while it will run again, but only for another 1/2 turn around the loop (4' x 9.5' table)  It acts as though a thermal cut-out is engaging.

It has a NEM 651 6 pin plug for a decoder.  I don't recall what kind of a decoder I originally installed, but today I put in a Zimo MX621N, and the same problem recurred.

Does this Lok draw more current than the Zimo is rated for?  Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks, and cheers!
Gordon

Edited by el Gato Gordo - 18 Jan 2017 at 7:37pm
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 3:12am
Gordon:

The decoder is rated at .8A, so it should be fine unless the motor is bad.  The decoder should be able to handle a Roco HO loco, so it should definitely work in N scale.  I would try to run the loco in DC without a decoder, and measure the current it uses.  Also, there may be some loose connection which disconnects when the loco gets warm.

Ulrich
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 5:58am
Thanks, Ulrich. It looks like the opposite of some Christmas toys - some disassembly required.

Cheers!
Gordon
Misha_K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Misha_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:15am

Gordon,

Hobbytrain has a habit of installing capacitors that get in the way of some decoders functioning properly. There should be two fat black cylindrical capacitors in the middle of the circuitboard. I would remove those and replace them with wire.

See here in the third and fourth picture.

https://www.haltiner-online.ch/index.php/es64-f4-re-474-von-hobbytrain

Removing the little square "Entst├Ârdrossel" (suppression choke? - sorry I don't know my electronics terms in English) in the middle is recommended for removal as well.

That's what I did on my 189 and on all my E10s from Hobbytrain. I use D&H, K├╝hn and ESU decoders on these and they all run fine once these capacitors are removed.

Misha

el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:49am
Thanks, Misha!  Despite my poor German, those instructions are clear.  I will give that a try.  Right now it is just a paperweight....
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic