Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Historical Notes and Real Trains
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

China to Europe freight trains

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: China to Europe freight trains
    Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 4:29pm
There's one thing I don't know and I thought this might be a good place to ask. With the cars, how to they handle the change of gauge on Rus sin trackage?
Have a good weekend everyone!
Dave S
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 5:57pm
I don't know for sure about these particular trains, but there are two basic systems for change of gauge from broad gauge to standard gauge:
  • cars with adjustable gauge wheelsets
  • changing out the trucks while the car is jacked up or with a drop pit
Talgos use adjustable wheelsets; freight operations typically change out the trucks.

Not a particularly speedy process either way.

Changing out the trucks is easier for cars designed for this purpose, as you also have to disconnect and connect brake linkages.

It would almost be easier to containerize all cargo in standard intermodal containers and to simply transfer the containers from cars of one gauge to cars of another gauge on parallel tracks, using an overhead gantry crane.  In fact, that's the way I would suggest doing it.

Of course, not all types of cargo easily fits intermodal containers.

-- Ernest
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic