Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > N- Scale Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Minitrix 15 deg R & L Turnout Sm Loco Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 10:17am
Originally posted by BR42 BR42 wrote:

Hello:

To make you N-scalers feel better:  Good running track also needs lots of work in H0 scale, soldering, file and smoothing joints.

Ulrich

I'm sure that's true. The thing with N scale I find challenging is actually seeing properly what I'm doing. Never though I'd say this, but this is once instance where I'd like to have my extreme near-sightedness back that I had in my early years!

As it is, three sets of different magnifiers do help

Ralph.
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 10:49am
Taking all suggestions into account to try and cure the stuttering Glaskasten loc, here's how it went:

1. Measured the wheel separation distance with a precision caliper and compared it to the other good locos. Turns out variance was only ~.002", so no adjustment necessary.

2. Completely disassembled the loco and used a can of compressed air to remove any old dirt and dust and cleaned up the contacts. When examining with a 10X magnifier, I found extemely thin clear micro fibers wrapped around the running gear which may have been slowing it down a bit. An hour or two of fiddling and I finally had them all removed.

3. Ran the refreshed loc on the track, but no noticeable difference with it still stuttering at the frogs...hmmm...

4. Cleaned the turnouts/switches thoroughly (again), but no change. Ran a few other locs and they had no problems at all (as expected).

5. Running out of options, I decided to clean the Glaskasten's wheels yet again, but this time I really went at it with a sturdy paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol layed on the rails and made sure that all wheel surfaces were cleaned/buffed to the 9th. And...that worked! Full speed, half speed or quarter speed, forwards or backwards, no stuttering or any other 'oddness'.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Ralph.

Edited by Bahner - 11 Feb 2017 at 11:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic