Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Simple Bavarian Branch Line - Early 1900's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simple Bavarian Branch Line - Early 1900's
    Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 12:57am
This is my first attempt at a simple model railway. I've been inspired by many of the awesome builds on here!

Long story short, I recently inherited a few boxes of N scale locs, cars, parts, structures, etc. from a late 60's/early 70s build that unfortunately didn't make it past the initial track laying stage. About 90% is Arnold-Rapido and the rest Minitrix. Very little track survived, but I do have a small amount of Minitrix so that is what I went with for this project.

A Bavarian branch line (aka 'Lokalbahn') seemed appropriate as I used to live near the Bavarian Alps in the late 70's/early 80's and I fondly remember the many scenic train rides. Looking through some of the old booklets and manuals I had acquired, I found a simple Arnold Rapido layout that encompased many of the typical features that I associate with model railroads (mountains/hills, bridges, tunnels, lakes), but without a great deal of complexity.

I then converted the basic Arnold-Rapido layout to Minitrix ('old school' protractor and a compass...found out later that there are computer programs for this):

One of the unbuilt kits I have is a circa 1970s Kibri Alpine Village kit N7005. This was perfect fit for this layout, but the quality of the parts was a bit rough. However, a bit of tweaking/painting/aging and the village has 'come to life', so to speak:

For the station, I assembled/aged a Faller 'Stugl-Stuhls' laser-cut kit # 212120 (still needs a bit of touch-up):

All main buildings will be lit as well as the passenger cars (wherever possible).

For running stock I'll be using K.Bay.Sts.B locs. So far I've aquired an old PtL 2/2 'Glaskasten' (Minitrix # 12017, released in 1989) that I've managed to overhaul into good working order and a GTL 4/4 (Fleischmann # 7819) which was part of a Fleischmann # 7889 loc/freight set.

I'm also awaiting the delivery of the 2016 Minitrix # 11632 (I'm anticipating a long wait).

As far as the build goes, it's going to be a bit longer than the Arnold original to allow for longer runs (45" x 32"). I'm using 1/2" good grade plywood with a top grade 1/4" plywood laminated together. The raised roadbed was created from the 1/4" top piece (before lamination). The risers are 2 degree and 3 degree foam from Woodland Scenics. Cork from Busch was used under the rails. Currently, I am at the ballasting stage, so I'll take some pics once this stage is complete.

Thanks for looking :)

Ralph.

Edited by Bahner - 03 Jul 2017 at 12:20am
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 6:54am
Hello Ralph:

Looks very nice. The Arnold plan was designed in the 60's, and is very good for its age.  Since then some new ideas have developed as far as layout design, namely having a more realistic arrangement of the station tracks, and some hidden storage tracks.  Therefore, I would suggest the following minor modification to the plan that would enhance the "play"-value of the layout:

I would perhaps modify the plan slightly by moving the stub track in front of the station building and connect instead both tracks at the platform to the mainline.   This would give you a place to park a couple of closed freight cars to be loaded/unloaded at the freight house of the station.

I also would add one more stub-track on the opposite side to the station, namely a team track holding three to four cars with a ramp at the end.  These small stations saw lots of freight traffic about 80 years ago.  These two modifications would give you more action in case you get tired having your trains just run around the layout.

Finally, I would put at least one hidden track into the tunnel so that you can park a train while another circles the layout. If you have the space, I would add two, model trains are addictive, so you may want to run more, e.g. a passenger train in each direction and a local freight train.  It give the railroad a feeling of going somewhere if it is empty while your train circles the layout.

Ulrich

Edited by BR42 - 12 Feb 2017 at 7:05am
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 7:45am
Sounds like a good plan, Ralph.   The trouble with posting a track plan is that everybody and his brother will have helpful suggestions.

As Ulrich mentioned, this is addictive. I started with a simple oval on the dining room table. So my suggestion, looking at your drawing, is to add a turnout in the upper left and lower left corners. Then if you ever want to expand the layout, you can easily add on to the left side.

I like the plan you have outlined and it looks like a fun build, The church looks like one that is in Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland.

Glad to have another N scaler aboard!

Edited by el Gato Gordo - 12 Feb 2017 at 7:46am
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 11:37am
Really great suggestions, thanks! And yes, I can see how this gets to be addictive (dreaming up new layouts and landscapes, scratch building unique structures, etc.)

My goal here is to use this build to develop the basic skills required for a properly functional and realistic layout, so I plan to stay true to the original track layout. Considering the small layout size, I'm attempting to keep track and building structures to a minimum, while having as much scenic space as possible. I think this will work best to have a more realistic layout, considering the space limitations.

The build after this one will be more ambitious and incorporate more modern/sophisticated design elements.

The Kirbi church is modelled after the Swiss alpine church in Sertig-Doerfli:

And I just noticed that the 2 story house to the church's right is the same one in the Kibri kit containing the church.

Thanks again for the ideas!

Ralph.

Edited by Bahner - 03 Jul 2017 at 12:42am
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 1:46pm
The main important fact is that you have fun in doing what you like, we love to see pictures as it develops.
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by RRVRR RRVRR wrote:

The main important fact is that you have fun in doing what you like, we love to see pictures as it develops.

Absolutely   

Here's where I am with this:

Started to ballast the longest section...

A shot of both viaducts:

Detail of my tallest running stock going through the bottom viaduct:

Getting this to function properly required the most effort so far. I had to cut and refit the central opening of this Kibri kit quite a bit higher than the other two openings for clearance and the track and turnout had to be repositioned at just the right angle to allow the locs/cars to get through without scraping (still only ~.040" clearance). One unfortunate side effect was that I had to extend the track all the way to the edge of the baseboard.

Ralph.

Edited by Bahner - 03 Jul 2017 at 12:20am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 2:05pm
Great progress!  The viaducts are an excellent addition - did you do weathering on those?
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by el Gato Gordo el Gato Gordo wrote:

Great progress!  The viaducts are an excellent addition - did you do weathering on those?

Thank you! Yes, these are the Kibri # 37660 'Straight Stone Viaducts' and they come in a uniform light grey color. They needed some work to get them looking a bit more realistic. I also added some 1/8" platforms on the bottom to get the added height I needed. It seems that this particular viaduct kit (and I'd guess most others, as well) wasn't originally intended for the purpose of running a train through them.

Edited by Bahner - 12 Feb 2017 at 2:45pm
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 3:28pm
A couple of the boxed locs I inherited:

None of these had been run on a proper layout, only a test oval. So, I ran these on my layout as a test and they all run very strong. Not sure why the Southern Pacific is in there (hmmm, excuse for a new USA build, perhaps?)    

Ralph.

Edited by Bahner - 03 Jul 2017 at 12:25am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 5:59pm
Southern Pacific?   Build bridges, not walls. .....

Looks like a nice selection. Now for an E17 and some catenary.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic