Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Simple Bavarian Branch Line - Early 1900's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by el Gato Gordo el Gato Gordo wrote:

Southern Pacific?   Build bridges, not walls. .....

Looks like a nice selection. Now for an E17 and some catenary.

A bit of an eclectic selection, but there it is...

Still learning, but the 'E17' would refer to the old long boiler steam loc from New South Wales, correct?

And ever since I obtained the 3-axle 'Freilassig - Berchtesgaden' passenger wagons I've been eying the electric loc that used to pull them, so a build with catenary may well be in the cards

Edited by Bahner - 12 Feb 2017 at 10:59pm
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 6:29am
Hallo Ralph:

Looks nice.   The E 17 is a Germany electric loco built in the late 20s for express trains.  On a branch line like this, probably an E44.5 would be more appropriate.  Roco made a nice model.  The E 17 would pull longer coaches with boggies and four axles.  Such cars appeared after WWII on branch lines, but to run them, you may have to check the clearances on the viaduct.  The inside and outside overhang of longer cars may cause them to bump into it in a curve.   Same with catenary mast.  They need to be set in such a way that the longest cars and biggest engines will clear them.

Ulrich
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 7:12am
I was just pulling the E17 out of my hat,trying for an earlier period E-Lok. Someone at a train show gave me a box of very nice German N scale rolling stock and an Arnold E17 was in there.   Leif installed a decoder and it runs very well!
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 9:14am
I see, 'E17' where presumably the 'E' stands for 'elektrische'.

Arnold-Rapido used to proudly advertise that they could run two trains on the same track, one drawing power through the rails and the other via the catenary. Big thing back in the day, but from what I've read running multiple trains on the same line nowadays is easy with DCC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 9:32am
Running two or more trains on the same track IS easy with DCC.  The only limitation is one's ability to pay attention.....  I do it from time to time, mostly when running my track cleaning train, but never at Shows because I am too often distracted by spectator's questions.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by el Gato Gordo el Gato Gordo wrote:

Running two or more trains on the same track IS easy with DCC.  The only limitation is one's ability to pay attention.....  I do it from time to time, mostly when running my track cleaning train, but never at Shows because I am too often distracted by spectator's questions.

I can see where distraction would be a problem. Just thinking out loud, but shouldn't it be possible for the trains to sense each other and either keep a pre-set, or a minimum, safe distance? Kind of like the route new cars are going these days with 'adaptive cruise control'.

EDIT: Found a thread 'Topic: Train Detection':

The most effective method is to use a detection circuit, especially if you run your trains digitally. The drawback are the costs, namely a sensor is needed for each detection section, and some form of board to interpret the information. Sometimes these are combined, but then the amount of wiring may increase, e.g. if you use a board with 16 sections like the BD-16 from Digitrax. However, if you plan to use software to run your trains, that is about the best way to do it.

Edited by Bahner - 13 Feb 2017 at 1:21pm
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 3:13pm
Really good job on weathering those plastic bridges Clap
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by RRVRR RRVRR wrote:

Really good job on weathering those plastic bridges Clap

Thanks! I think I went a bit over-the-top with the different paint colors, but it was a lot of fun

The little structures...not so easy and still touching up here and there attempting to to age them properly.

Edited by Bahner - 13 Feb 2017 at 5:28pm
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 11:41pm
Here's where I am so far:

In order to have this layout fit under a bed, as well as travel securely, a simple box was needed (but there is a twist, take note of the (7) brass bolts):

Top removed:

Top now positioned underneath the box with 'risers' made from an old broom handle threaded onto the brass bolts:

...which then raises the floating layout platform to the top level of the box:

A reversal of the process and it's all boxed up again.

Took a bit of work, but all trains now run perfectly with no derailments in either direction and all switches cleared of any loose ballast. Just started on the foam base of a mountain today, so at least it's moving along :)

Edited by Bahner - 18 Jul 2017 at 11:59pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 7:11am
That's ingenious! By the way, I have a pile of small freight cars which strangers have given me. Would you care to have a few, gratis? My interest is modern passenger service, so I have no use for them.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic