Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Simple Bavarian Branch Line - Early 1900's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 10:27am
Originally posted by el Gato Gordo el Gato Gordo wrote:

That's ingenious! By the way, I have a pile of small freight cars which strangers have given me. Would you care to have a few, gratis? My interest is modern passenger service, so I have no use for them.

Thank you very much for the offer, Gordon! From the historical data that I've been reading, in the late 1800's/early 1900's the freight cars used by the different German railroads were often quite similar (commonly borrowed, too), so any small German freight cars of the period would would be appropriate for this K.Bay.Sts.B. railroad layout.

Ralph -
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 8:34pm
Here are the 4 I am planning to send.  The two on the left are Italian made, Lima; the two on the right are Fleischmann.

Feel free to use, repaint, or gift to another, if they don't suit your modeling goals.  I'll send via USPS in a day or two.  

People inherit or otherwise unintentionally acquire model railroad stuff.  The ones with German things come up to me at train shows and just give me cars, engines, whatever.  One fellow gave me a box with about $800 worth of cars and engines, all in original boxes!  I am glad to pass these on to someone who will enjoy them.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 12:43am
Those look great! I'm curious to see the Lima cars as I'm unfamiliar with them.
Thanks, Gordon, and let me know the shipping cost.

Wow, $800 worth of train stuff is nothing to sneeze at!

Ralph -
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 8:35pm
The cars just arrived in great shape! Thanks again, Gordon.

Today I took stock of what I have and what I might need to complete this simple layout. In addition to the six buildings that I built a while back, I've decided to use two alpine type buildings that my father had built in the early '70s (they just need a bit of finishing). This means I'm now set for buildings. I took a photo from the top down showing proposed building placement and added some crude pathways and a stream in MS Paint:

The two rear-most buildings will be on hills so they'll look down on the valley below.

Looking forward to seeing these eight buildings all lit up!

Ralph -
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 6:48pm
Made some progress over the 4th :)

Rough formed what will be the 'mountain' and associated tunnels out of high-density foam. By keeping the foam fairly close to the track bed, I'm making sure that the rolling stock can't fall down the few inches to the base board and get damaged:

In order to get into the structure when a derail occurs, I created a wide opening:

Because the box interior dimension I have to work with is only 5-1/2", I'm going to have to get creative with placement of the mountain's buildings and trees.

Now it's on to the other mountain side :)

Ralph -

Edited by Bahner - 05 Jul 2017 at 6:56pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 7:03pm
Looking good, Ralph!   A little concerned about clearance for any longer cars you might run. The inside radius may not clear the middle of a longer car - there were some at the turn of the century.

Now for a palm sander, 60 grit paper, and a Shop Vac.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by el Gato Gordo el Gato Gordo wrote:

Looking good, Ralph!   A little concerned about clearance for any longer cars you might run. The inside radius may not clear the middle of a longer car - there were some at the turn of the century.

Now for a palm sander, 60 grit paper, and a Shop Vac.

Thanks, Gordon. Thanks for the heads-up on the longer cars. I plan to run just the shorter ones since it'll seem more in scale with the small size of the layout.

I just ordered some interesting accessory items from Reynaulds that I think will add some quaint charm to the rural landscape :)

Ralph.
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 10:07am
Ralph:

Looks good.  With the tunnel in place the station tracks make much more sense and look more realistic.  Great job.

Ulrich
Bahner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 11:45pm
Thanks, Ulrich! First attempt at this, so who knows how this is going to turn out :)

Finished all the foam construction except for some foam I plan to lay down later in the interior to add some contour and depth to the layout:

Both of the upper mountain tunnels have removable pieces that provide access from the back, but since the small left/bottom tunnel is so short I just left this as one solid construction. Fitted a few portals today and started to work the foam to get a feel for how to work in contours and textures. Finally starting to look like something! :)

Ralph.

Edited by Bahner - 18 Jul 2017 at 11:54pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 5:18pm
Check out some images of hillsides and cliffs. Foam is very easy to carve and shape with knives or a stiff wire brush (good for doing slate or other strata). Take your time and practice on scraps outdoors.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic