Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > N- Scale Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Guide Wire Size used with  Faller groove cutter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Guide Wire Size used with Faller groove cutter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guide Wire Size used with Faller groove cutter
    Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 11:51am
I'm new to this forum so I hope I don't get post in wrong place. I bought Faller N scale car system since I have a long road layout planed, I bought Faller 161669 groove cutter but I can't find the guide wire 161670 locally & shipping from over seas runs the price to a $1 per foot, way to much money. I'm hoping someone here has this groove cutter & can tell me what music wire diameter (mm wire) is use with this tool. Maybe I can get music wire locally once I have the mm diameter of wire.

Thanks Michael
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 4:18pm
Welcome, Michael -

Good to have another N scaler!  And doing the car system, too!

First, a question.  When you say you bought the "car system" did you buy a starter set?  If so, doesn't it come with 10 meters of wire?

Either way, I'll be glad to send you the wire size shortly.  There is a good discussion of the car system, mostly HO, under the Members section of this Forum.  Some folks prefer to use magnet wire, though I've never tried it.

Next time I go out to the barn (where the train stuff is), I'll put a micrometer on the wire and let you know.

Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 4:53pm
The Faller iron wire is 1mm in diameter, the magnet wire is 1mmx3mm

Edited by RRVRR - 21 Feb 2017 at 4:53pm
Michael B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:40pm
Thanks Markus, You wouldn't believe how hard this has been finding wire size, it must be top secret stuff.
Even though I got the Faller 161669 groove tool, which works great, but pricey. They didn't have any road wire or starter kits. Everything is back ordered in US. Sorry it took me so long to get back, but I didn't get a reply email, just happen to check back to forum. Thanks a million Michael
Michael B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:56pm
Thanks Gordon for the welcome, seem like a nice group here. I'm mainly into the train part of N scale, but these cars caught my eye so I thought I would give them a try. Hobby shops in US are out of Tomytec & Faller stuff all the time, because China & Germany only send partial orders. You can skip that trip to the barn, because Markus was quick to find the answer. Thanks anyway.  Later Michael 
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:13pm
last week I sold 10 rolls of 5m iron wire on ebay, along with card board street. I also have my faller groove cutter online since I do not need that either. If I would know it I would saved some.
Michael B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:03pm
Markus you must have wire from something else other than Faller car system. I ordered 200 ft of 1 mm wire & it is way larger than what Faller groove cutting tool does for Faller car system wire.
Thanks for trying anyway. 
Michael B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:17pm
Gordon I still again need to know the diameter of Faller brand wire for car system. I know now 1 mm is to large for groove cut by Faller tool, that's made for that purpose. If you have genuine Faller car system wire in your barn, I would like to hear from you when you get a chance. I would also appreciate knowing if you do not have Faller wire, so I can look else where.

Thanks Michael
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 7:34am
Okay, I'll be out there a little later.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
Michael B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 9:13am
Markus since I last posted, someone else told me the wire is 1 mm diameter also. I must be doing something wrong. The cutter blade is only .59 mm wide & when I tried pushing 1 mm in groove it wouldn't go, even hit it with hammer & still was above wood. The tool came with no instructions that help, so I'm guess how this is done.
Is the correct wire soft steel or music wire? Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? 
Thanks Michael
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic