Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > N- Scale Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking help with carriage lighting ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomme4moi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking help with carriage lighting ...
    Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:28am
I purchased a Fleischmann 944501 LED lighting kit and am installing it in a Fleischmann carriage. To avoid damage to the downward-facing LED lights, the instructions specify that two washers must be inserted between the carriage mounts and the lighting assemby (see foto here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53682537/Train.png).

With the washers inserted, the lighting assembly sits too high, making it impossible to place the roof on the carriage.  I think I need to use thinner washers, but still thick enough to prevent the LED lights from touching the carriage mounts.  Does this make sense?  Am I going about it in the right way?

FYI that I could insert the LED assembly with the lights pointing upward, but then the capacitor prevents the roof from being installed. So downward-facing LED's seem the better option.

Thanks!

RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:42am
I'm not in N-Scale but what I see is that the washer only should prevent that the SMD (Surface mound device, the small electronic components on the circuit board) components are touching the mounting surface under the screw. I would use washers that are thinner just enough that the SMD's are slightly free. If this mounting surface is metal you net to prevent any connection between the SMD's. If it is plastic or any non conductive material you don't have to worry. Since those LED's don't get warm you also can use thin card board, cut it to size and make a hole in the middle and you have your washer.

Most of the lighting kits are made to fit in most cars so sometimes you need to be a little creative. Wink

I hope my opinion helps you a little bit.

*edit:
Just saw that those two mounting post for the lights might be also used as power connectors for the lights. In that case you need to use a conductive washer. 

Edited by RRVRR - 22 Feb 2017 at 11:36am
pomme4moi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomme4moi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 1:48pm
Thank you for the advice.  Now the trick is to find a place that sells the right size washers.  I went to Radio Shack, and looked online at Amazon and Litchfield Station, but no luck. In the meantime, I attached one end of the lighting assembly to the underside of the mount inside the carriage. It wasn't made to work that way, but seems to be ok.

Thanks again!
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 2:46pm
Where you do not need the metal strength of the washers, you can make your own spacers from sheet polystyrene plastic.  Many hobby shops sell these, under the Plastruct and other brand names.  (You can find these online from a number of sources.)

These plastic sheets come in many thicknesses.  I use them primarily when I am modifying plastic structure kits, but have also found a number of other uses for them.

Most of the thinner sheet strengths can be cut with a good pair or sharp scissors or hobby knife.  Greater thicknesses may require other tools.

Hope that helps.

-- Ernest

RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:10pm
Ernest, it seems to me that it needs to be conductive since the brackets are used to power the light.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic