Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Miscellaneous
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Faller Bus problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faller Bus problems
    Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 11:36am
After two years of flawless running, my Faller Bus suddenly (this past winter) would not stay on the road.  I changed out the tires, and that helped a great deal on most of the route.  (Memo to Gordon: check the tires on the Chevy, too).

But there is one spot that is giving me fits.  The road goes under a 3-track overpass, and curves to the right up a grade.  Naturally the most inaccessible spot on the entire roadway.  I've been working on it for weeks now, and I am waiting for some plaster to dry where I am fixing a dip in the road.

This area is where I made a major mistake in the order of building this layout: I laid the track first, and then worked on the road, violating the rule of working from the bottom up.  So, for anyone building a Faller car system, be aware that the groove cutter will not cut under underpasses.  Get the road down and tested before laying track over the top.

With a train show in one week, I am scrambling to have this running.

I'm not looking for advice, here, just posting to make others aware that some things should be done before others.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 7:38pm
I do believe that I have come to terms with the driver of that bus.  Union negotiations were tough, and eventually I had to give in: raise in pay, better roads, increased break time.

I have my fingers crossed, which will make it hard to run trains next weekend, but I think the bus will be running at the show.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 9:31am
The bus is back to running on schedule.  It took some major rework of roads, new tires, reworking the weights that I've had to add to the bus, and endless tweaking of the magnetic steering arm.  Now I am tweaking a spare bus, to insure that I always have one that will run at train shows.

And speaking of train shows, there seems to be a dearth of shows in the area for the rest of the year.  Sigh.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic