Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Technical Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speeding up a Faller motor?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speeding up a Faller motor?
    Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 5:38pm
I have several Faller motors (#180629) on my layout powering two carousels in my carnival.  I am also building a Salt Mine interactive scene, with tourists going down a slide from an upper level to a lower. 

With the included gearing, the Faller motors have two speeds - 4rpm and 15 rpm.  At 15 rpm, the chairs on the chairoplane (#242315) just dangle.  I figure that I need to increase the speed to about 25 rpm for the ride to operate properly.

On the slide, the speed needs to be at least 30 rpm to get a decent appearance.  I could increase the size of the drive wheel (there is a 1/4" elastic band carrying the tourists, that rounds two guide wheels and one drive wheel) to increase the speed of the elastic belt, but these motors don't have much power and I don't want to burn it out.

An suggestions to speed it up electrically?

Thanks and
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 4:30am
Hello Gordon:

With what voltage do you run it?  It can handle up to 16V, so you might want to push it to that limit.

Ulrich
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 7:37am
Thanks, Ulrich, I'll do that. I'm currently running it at 12 volts. I've increased the size of the wheel driving the belt (to which I will stitch the figures going down the slide).

Post scriptum: I changed over to a 16 volt a/c transformer.  It has not significantly increased the speed, but has increased the power and reliability.  I will try increasing the diameter of the drive wheel a little bit more for a modest increase in speed.

That will be the best I can do for the slide unless I change to a whole different motor system, I think.  Sure wish I could get that ChairoPlane to spin fast enough to lift the chairs a bit, though.  That motor is encapsulated within the structure itself and no room for aftermarket changes of gearing.

Edited by el Gato Gordo - 03 Aug 2017 at 10:11am
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic