Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Miscellaneous
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Faller Help and Guidance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaustav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faller Help and Guidance
    Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 9:13am
Hi

I am new to the forum and was wondering if someone could help me with some basic questions about Faller Car System.

I am planning to build an American layout with a simple Faller Car System loop to make things a little interesting. I have decided to keep it very simple - a bus stop and a level crossing (no traffic signal etc.). I am not planning to run a lot of vehicles - currently will start with 2, and then will move up to 5. 

So far, I have acquired a starter pack with a bus, and Parking Space, Diverging Section and Stop Section - one of each.

Here are the questions:

1. Can I use one traffic control module (161651) to control the bus stop, 2 parking space with about 2 branch off section to divert vehicles to the parking lot, and the crossing grade crossing?
  2. My grade crossing is on a sharp curve, so I might not be able to use the Faller grade crossing module - what are my options to simulate:
    1. Grade crossing with only flashing lights?
    2. Grade crossing with gates?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,
Kaustav
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 12:18pm
Greetings, Kaustav - Welcome to the Forum!

What scale (HO, N, whatever) are you modeling?

If N scale, any curves or turns should have a minimum 80 mm radius.  HO scale, minimum 150 mm radius.  It also helps to put an additional "catcher wire" on the outside of curves that can lead a vehicle back to the main guide wire, in case the front tires get dirty and skid.  Changes in grade must be very gradual so vehicle don't high center or lose the guide wire.

The traffic control module can only handle 4 items - turnouts, stops, etc.  Given your ambitions, you might need two modules.

Also remember, different vehicles most likely will travel at different speeds.

Afraid that I cannot help you with your questions about the level crossing, since I haven't rigged one of those, and my layout isn't large enough for a bus route to cross tracks and return.

I hope this response is helpful!
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 12:51pm
As Gordon already pointed it out, there are some factors you need to consider.

Different vehicle speeds.
If you run only two vehicles at separate tracks it will not be a problem. If you run two or more on the same track you have to apply a system that prevents vehicles from catching up and run in each other.

Grade crossing.
In general this is possible but a trail and error work and with the Faller Iron Wire relatively tricky. Whenever you put a gap in between this wire the car looses his steering guidance and most likely will go left or right. In this case you need to add additional wires to catch the steering magnet as Gordon pointed out (if you need more info on this reply and I will add some pictures on how to). With the guiding wire from Faller you need to be really precise in order to archive a working result and not having ghost cars (cars that loose the guiding wire contact). In general the 3mm magnet wire will work better.

Controlling the cars
Well, can't help you on this since the Faller controls is nothing I will deal with since I use a different but more complicated system to install. We talk about small decoders inside each car.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic