Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Off Topic Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hurricane response article link

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurricane response article link
    Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 11:03am
Okay, this is not railroad related.  As the header says, this section is for off-topic discussions.

But, as some of you have told me that you have enjoyed, or at least found of interest, the articles that I have produced for the Reynauld's Blog. here's a pointer to an article that I wrote more than a decade ago for a relatively small trade magazine, Homeland Security Today.

The article focuses on what I saw being done right in the aftermath of Hurricane Camille -- where I was there in the aftermath -- and which I saw being done wrong in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.  Of course, many of these thoughts about hurricane response are still applicable to current disasters, particularly Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.

Ironically, the same year that I was involved in the response to Hurricane Camille, I had also spent time in Puerto Rico, as part of a large military exercise focusing on the invasion of a small country.

Yes, Puerto Rico is not part of the mainland U.S., but there are still a lot of military capabilities that could have been used better.

And, yes, that article is available in the FEMA library.  But, I am not sure anyone has read it recently.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

-- Ernest
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic