Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > HO-Scale Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Power Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CIWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 5:41pm
Hi,
The reading should match, or be very close to, the Voltage output  supplied by your station to the Main/Program Track.  In other words, if your station's Voltage out is 15V DC then it should read very close to 15V DC.   Make sure to set the meter to DC, and that you connect the + lead to the positive track and the - to the negative track.  Same goes for your output current.  Hope this helps. 

Edited by CIWL - 12 Nov 2017 at 5:42pm
MrStucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrStucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:03pm
Hi Everyone.

I can't seem to get any reading in terms of voltage. The atlas ho track I've been using isn't working, neither is the 00 track I used tonight. The track I ordered is going to my brother's place. I could be using the multimeter wrong. I think I'll just resolder all the joints as one of them came loose tonight at the front of the train, not around the motor or linkages. I used sensor spray yesterday to clean contacts etc maybe I didn't use enough or just the right amount. I'm going to Calgary this weekend & thinking of taking the locomotive with me, so I can visit a hobby shop there if my sister isn't too busy. Maybe I should just get Thomas instead
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 6:08am
Hello:

Set the meter to a range 25V DC, and plug in the power-pack.  Check that the DC-terminal of your power-pack supplies the the right voltage.  Then put together a few pieces of straight track, and hook up the power-pack to this.  Make sure you get a voltage reading on the track.  If not, one of your wire may be broken.  Keep one probe of the meter attached to the pack, and see if you get a reading with the other one on the rail not atatched to the terminal with the probe.  If you still get one, alternate the probes.  This way you should be able to identify the part with connection trouble.  If you have power on the track, put on the loco.  If it does not move, take off the shell.  Set your multimeter to resistance and measure if you have a connection from the wheels to the motor.  That should identify the problem fast.

Ulrich
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic