Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > HO-Scale Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Power Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrStucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Problem
    Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:45pm
Hello Everyone.
I belong to a couple other model railroad forums, so I thought I'd try the Reynaulds forum as they deal in European trains. I'd like to run my brother's HO Fleischmann 891315 set from the mid 1960's. I can get the motor to run when it isn't attached to the chassis, but I can't get anything to run when I reattach the motor to the chassis. I've been told there's a short somewhere, I'll be getting a multimeter soon. I've also been told to use a sensor or electrical cleaner to clean off any excess crud. I getting to the point about resoldering the joints even though I'm not too sure if that'll help my problem, on top of overhauling the whole train. I've ordered track & I hope to get it before my birthday. I'm also thinking of switching to North American trains so I can avoid power issues or other setbacks.

I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 7:29am
Hello:

Welcome to the forum.  If the motor runs, but does not work, then there probably is a wiring issues, but not a short in the loco.  Without a multimeter it is impossible to diagnose.  Where really is no difference in power pick-up between North American and European train.  There reliability level is about the same, the construction quality of Roco and Fleischmann is definitely better than that of some American manufacturers.

Ulrich
MrStucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrStucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:58am
Hi.
I was always careful not to pull out any wires, if I was taking the locomotive apart. I have a soldering iron just that its in a storage garage in the city where I live. I've applied oil in the right spots, used rubbing alcohol on the contact points. I also used wd-40 as I was pretty much at my breaking point, even though I think its not the best stuff to use. I have a soldering gun & iron except its in a storage unit in another part of the city where I live. I wish the hobby shop was next door too or many things for that matter. I was able to get the motor to run last night still detached from the chassis, but I had a wire connected to the motor & another to a contact point at the front of the locomotive. If I get the locomotive to work I was thinking of leaving the couplers as is, rather than changing them since its a passenger train.

Thanks
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:43am
Originally posted by MrStucky MrStucky wrote:

Hello Everyone.
 I'm also thinking of switching to North American trains so I can avoid power issues or other setbacks.

I can't help you with the running problem on this locomotive, but welcome to the Forum!  I'm not sure what "power issues" you are contemplating.  I run German N scale trains here in Colorado and I can assure you that power is not a problem.  The power at the rails is the same, whether you are here or in Germany, despite the differences in power at the wall outlet.

I wouldn't want to plug a 1950's era German transformer (250 volt) into an American 120 volt wall outlet, even with a plug adapter, but my Roco Z21 digital control system (DCC) was built and plugged to use US of A style outlets and power.  So far as non-digital control (DC), virtually any modern transformer will run trains.

So, regarding choice of whether to run European style trains or American, it just depends on what you want to do.  And there are no rules saying you can't run both!  Even Miniatur Wunderland does that.  It's your railroad, you make the rules.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
MrStucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrStucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 1:31pm
Hello.
The transformer runs on 110v as my brother was born in Germany in '65. I ordered new track for the train. The nearest dealer to me is in British Columbia. The power issues I was referring to was running everything on 110/120v, instead of messing around with 250v transformers etc. There is a rr club here in Edmonton & only a few guys know Fleischmann, probably the main reason I want to run North American trains.

Thanks Gordo
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 1:43pm
Where are you in Canada? And what is the voltage in your power outlets? I'm afraid that my knowledge of Canada is limited to Jack London stories and anything else is from Alex Trebec.....
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
MrStucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrStucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:44pm
hi Gordo.
I live in Edmonton Ab & the voltage is 110v. I haven't seen Jeopardy in a long time, but I think Alex needs to grow his mustache back as he looks odd without facial hair. If I ever watch the show I wish I could win the money if I get the question right, other times I'm mad at myself if I get a question wrong since I couldn't quite remember the answer.

cya later
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 8:38am
Just to understand this right, the motor detached from the locomotive runs but when you place it back in the shell/frame from the loco it does not run?!

There are a few things that might wrong. If the motor is in the frame use a multi meter and measure on the contact point of the motor if you get any kind of voltage.

If not...
...you have a contact problem on you power pick ups

If yes...
...you might investigate if the gear box because this might be stalled and prevents the motor from moving. When a train is a long time (many years) in storage this is also a likely cause.

Other then power pickup and gearbox there is nothing else that can be wrong if you have power on the tracks (check with the multi meter) and you didn't mess with the wiring.
MrStucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrStucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 10:01am
Hi Markus.
You are correct about my locomotive issues, & I haven't messed up any of the wiring. I thought of resoldering all the joints except I might use this as a last resort, after using a multimeter & a cleaner that was suggested I buy in another forum. I hope the track I ordered comes soon, plus I'll get some feed wires that are all the same gauge. The wires I've been using for testing are from an old tv.
MrStucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrStucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 5:12pm
Hi 
Can someone tell me the setting to have on a multimeter to check for voltage. I bought a meter yesterday & can't seem to get a reading, or the sign for negative polarity keeps flashing. The locomotive runs on dc. I haven't used the cleaner yet but I'll use it this week.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic