Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Technical Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Collision avoidance - simple solution!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collision avoidance - simple solution!
    Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:25am
My layout - modern German passenger service - is very simple.  It consists of a double track mainline with two Bahnhöfe, and a spur which travels up a hill to a Bahnhof at a town.  The spur comes down to the Hauptbahnhof to be Gleis 1, but then converges with the clockwise routed Gleis 2 of the main line.

The problem?  During shows, if I bring a train down from the upper Bahnhof, I have to pay attention and catch it at the Hauptbahnhof or it goes onto the main line....usually derailing, since it is against the throw of the turnout.  More disastrously, there will be a collision with another train.  This happens under converging catenary and into a tunnel.  So, I will be attentively running my ET 442 Talent 2 down the hill until somebody distracts me with a question.......   Yikes!

I have damaged trains trying to gently extricate them from the situation.  Currently waiting on an almost microscopic spring ( I ordered spares) for one of my favorites.

Then came the epiphany!  Just before that Gleis 1 enters the converging turnout, I cut isolation gaps 6 inches apart in one rail, and routed a feeder for it through the Tortoise switch motor.  Now, when the signal is red no train can pass that point.  When the signal is green.....  Well, you get the picture.  Problem solved!
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 8:40am
Yeah, that works, the good old relay technique Wink

Edited by RRVRR - 10 Nov 2017 at 8:41am
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:59am
Gordon and Markus:

Yes, the good old relay technique still has its place in the digital age. 

I use them to route stop/go commands to the inputs of the DCC stationary decoders that control the signals.  The commands have to throw the signals at the correct track only and for them also in the correct direction only.  Takes about eight relays.  They work flawlessly  and exactly as desired. 
The most ironic thing is that I tried to use a specialized signal decoder for that, but I could never get that thing to operate flawlessly.  It worked as planned, but then suddenly started to thro signals randomly.  After three weekends messing with it, I decided it had a programming bug.  I spent a day to put my old relays back in, no more problems since then.  At least, the manufacturer took the decoder back though.

Ulrich 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic