Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Digital Trains
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need a DCC sanity check, please.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akstraight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need a DCC sanity check, please.
    Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 10:20am
I think this will work, but maybe someone who has tried it can tell me if I am right. 

Starting with a DCC layout, I would like to create a sub-section of the layout that can be controlled by either the layout DCC system or a separate system that just operates that section. 

When the section is connected to the main layout, a train can enter the section under DCC control. I would like to then disconnect the section from the layout and connect it to a second DCC system just for that section. This would be done using relays to first disconnect it, then reconnect it to the special system. The two systems would never be connected together, even momentarily. When leaving the section, the action would be reversed. 

The loco(s) would suddenly disappear from one system, and reappear on the other, in both directions. We can assume the loco programming would be made identical for both systems.

Can I do this?
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 10:46am
Not sure why you would want to do this, but it could easily be done by wiring a double pole double throw switch to the feeds for that section.

It would need to be an "on #1 - middle off - on #2" type switch - a fairly common arrangement for a DPDT switch.  You hook up the track feeds to the center positions, and DCC#1 to one side, and DCC#2 to the other two poles.  The only other thing you would need to do is isolate that section electrically.

Hope this helps -
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 12:57pm
I'm also not sure why you like to divide it and hook up another DCC system. I would understand if you say I like to run sometimes DC locos but two separate DCC systems make no sense to me.

But just for the technical background:
1. The programming of the loco is stored in the loco decoder chip. This chip don't care what kind of DCC System you are using.
2. Under no circumstances you can drive from one DCC System to another. Even you electrically insulate the tracks between each other. As soon as a loco (or car) crosses over the wheels will short (connect) both systems together and most likely one or both system can be damaged permanently. Same applies for crossing from DC to DCC, so you should be careful and switch off a piece of track between the systems long enough for a loco to come to a complete stop in that section. This should prevent accidental crossing.

I hope this explains it a little bit and helps you planning ahead.   
best, Markus

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic