Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > European Model Train Clubs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Euro modeling in the Seattle/Portland area?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 10:01pm
Important factors are how many axles on the loco(s) are used for pickup and whether the frogs on the switches on the layout are polarized.  On switches with polarized frogs, you shouldn't have any problems with the engines stalling -- but, as was noted in another discussion, you cannot trail through these on the wrong route without causing a short.

I have a Roco BR80, probably their least expensive loco.  This is an 0-6-0.  My test loop has both polarized and non-polarized switches.  Most of the time, the loco handles the non-polarized switches okay, but if it's moving at very slow speed through a non-polarized switch, it sometimes need a nudge.

None of my other locos, including a Kleinbahn 2-8-2 tank engine have a problem on switches without polarized frogs -- as they all have longer wheelbases.

In a modular setup, you have little control over what people do on their modules -- if you run your equipment over onto their modules.

You may want to consider at least an 0-8-0, as it would have a slightly longer wheelbase.

Other options include double-heading a pair of smaller locos -- possibly with jumper wires between them or having additional electrical pickup from the car behind the engine.  But both of these are fairly extreme measures.  I really don't think you would have much of a problem with most small locos.  However, I would stay away from 0-4-0 or 2-4-2 locos on a show layout.

A BR 93 (or similar engine) is small enough to be used with only a few cars in a branchline setting.

-- Ernest

Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 6:50pm

Thank you for your reply. 

I am learning about "insul" frogs and "electro" frogs.  All the things I did not need to care about with my Marklin layout.  I am willing to get some DCC stuff to run some trains with my club.  I think for now I will plan to get a BR 218 Diesel loco to pull my DB passenger train, and stay away from the very cute Fliessmann 0-4-0 Steam loco for now.  When I get a Steam loco I will get a slightly larger model.

I am aboard my ship now and enjoy building up my downtown "Leavenworth" with some Faller kits.  I will post some pictures when I can.

Mitch

Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 7:32pm
Hi Guys,

We had a train Show at Tacoma Station last w/e.  I ran trains both days.  I do not have modules yet... Still planning.

Here some pictures of my trains.

First Day pulling some Lilliput German cars behind my 4-4-0 American GN by Bachmann

Second Day pulling some Brawa Wuttenberg cars. 

I kept my consists short as was able to pull into a small station.

I was surprised that most visitors know I had German cars.  I was more surprised that my fellow club members were disappointed that I was NOT using a GERMAN engine! Some visitors said they like European Equipment also.  I told them my club is accepting me!

I got the NEW Bachmann engine DCC WITH sound on ebay for 150 dollars.  I plan to buy a Fliesmann or Brawa Engine from Reynauld's for the next show.  I was talking with Ray today about possible engines!!!

I also hope to have my own modules by then.  

I will post here our next show... That will not be until September!

Mitch

I found out the Roco engine I wanted is Out of Stock.  I need to decide should I get a Brawa engine 216 diesel, or perhaps stay with Steam and there are some very nice Fliesmann and Trix models I am looking at.

PS On day 1 in the afternoon I was pulling some American freight cars.  I like the German cars better.  Moreover since my club members seemed disappointed I was NOT running the CORRECT GERMAN engine, I will get some GERMAN DCC stuff!

The Station in this picture is where I pulled in my "German" Passenger cars for stops.  We have another station in the layout that is much larger.

Stay tuned...

Edited by Mitch - 05 Jun 2014 at 8:47pm
Model Train Projects View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 5:04pm
Hey Mitch,

the Brawa 216 is a very nice loco ! I got 2 of them, they are running very nice and its all metal.
The Class 216 uses steam heating ( It got a small oil boiler for that ) and can be used to pull older rolling stock, used to be pulled by steam engines.
The class 218 from Roco got electric heating, it got a generator just for that, the traction is done with hydraulics. There are also the class 215, which was a continue build of the 216 with the longer frame of the 218, still got steam heating.

Same family, but not that common, class 217 ( 15 engines, H0 from Liliput ) electric heating, 210 ( Gas turbine booster and electric heating, 10 engines, H0 from Trix ( discontinued )) and class 219 ( Gas turbine booster, steam heating, just 1 engine ever build, soon to be delivered by Liliput ).

Br

Leif
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 9:53am
Hi Guys,

I just got off my ship and have a train club meeting on Saturday.  We have 2 shows coming up.  The first in is Lynden on Oct 4 and 5.  The next is in Maple Valley Oct 18 and 19.  I hope build my first module so I can have my little part of 'Germany' (Leavenworth) in the layout.

Here is a preview of what I have.  The engine is Marklin so I still need to get a 2 rail DCC version.  The cars are the 'Edleviess' from Fleishmann.

My club is the Seattle Portland and Eastern Railway Modular.  If anyone is nearby please stop in at one of the shows.

Mitch 
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 11:34am
I'm wondering if there are any Model Railroader in the upstate of South Carolina that run European trains in HO (I only know one). It also looks like that the South is kind of a desert when it comes to model railroads, train shops and show's at least in my area around Greenville.

Nice to see that clubs in other parts of the US are open for members with a different rolling stock as the usual.

Edited by RRVRR - 11 Sep 2014 at 11:35am
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 9:11am
My club was at the show in Lynden, WA.  I was there for only Sunday.  I ran only 1 train for most of the day.  I stopped my train at the Main Train Station when I took a lunch break.  I was using my American GN loco to pull my Lilliput 'old time' German cars.  Some people were interested in my train, but I found most of the young people liked the long trains better and followed them around.  Also they wanted to see 'people' in the trains.

I plan to pull my Rhiengold Express or the Orient Express at the next show, but those cars are of older vintage and do not have NEM pockets.  (I lead coupler of my train is a 'knuckle' coupler) I will need to purchase a new German DCC loco. (All my locos are AC or AC digital or DC, none are DCC)

Our next show is in Maple Valley, WA. That will be on Oct 18 and 19, 2014.

Mitch

el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 5:00pm

Hey, Mitch ~

I'm enjoying your photos!  It looks like you have a great start for your modular unit.  Nice to get the buildings constructed before laying out roads & track.

Gordon

Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 12:24am
Thanks,  My club is extremely nice and just like to run trains.  I have been to 3 shows.  The modules you see in the pictures are other members.  I have not constructed mine yet.  I just bought 2 Trix engines from REI.  As my members want me to run my German trains with proper loco power.  I should have one engine this week, the other engine is on back order, but I hope to have it before the show in Puyallup.  As some of my older German cars do not have NEM pockets I can not pull them with my American loco.

I am also planning on future BRAWA engines but that will have to wait.

So if you are in the NW come to the GTE in Puyallup.  I will be there part day on Saturday and all day on Sunday and hope to run my Bavarian Steam locos, pulling a variety of German Passenger trains and Freight cars.

I will take so pictures.

The buildings you see have been built a long time ago.  I will need to remove or change the sidewalks as they do not match up.  When I decide how my town will be I will put the buildings together to for city blocks.  The club is very helpful with projects like that!

Mitch

Edited by Mitch - 05 Nov 2014 at 12:29am
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 11:14am
I had a great time at the GTE (Great Train Expo) in Puyallup.  I was only there for a few hours Saturday.  I had my 2 NEW engines from REI in time.  First up was my Roco model of my Bavarian 4-6-0 pulling my Rheingold Express.

The Roco model was very easy to program... just put it on the track and designated the engine.

I was at the show ALL day on Sunday and got my Trix model of my freight engine running it is a 0-8-8-0.  It was a bit more work to get it programmed.  We had to put it on a test track and use our computer to get the addresses set.  We are using NCE DCC.  I am new to DCC and a club member set up the loco for me.  We are not allowed to run number '03' in our layout so both engines got there road number as there command number.

Sorry I do not have better pictures, I was busy operating and talking with people all day.  

The best part was when I discovered the full sound effects on the Roco model.  It was a hit coming into the station with the brakes squealing.  There were a lot of folks who liked seeing my European Trains!

I only had a few non Marklin freight cars, but found several more at the swap meet part of the show, made by Roco, Piko, Fliessmann.  So I added them to my freight train during the day!

People were intrigued by the interesting freight engine.  I think people liked it the best of my collection at the show!

Mitch

PS: Our next show will be in Tacoma.  I am not sure of the exact dates yet but I believe we will be set up for 10 days just before Christmas.  I will post more about the next show, and my trains before the show!

Edited by Mitch - 20 Nov 2014 at 11:40am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic