Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > European Model Train Clubs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Euro modeling in the Seattle/Portland area?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 11:31am
Hi Guys,

The next show will be in Tacoma from December 21 to January 1st.  Our layout will be set up for 10 days!

I just received 4 more 'Rheigold' cars so now I can have my Rheingold Express train in the correct length of 9 cars!  I will plan to operate this train at the show.  It will be pulled by my Roco Bavarian engine.  If I need extra baggage, I can thow on a standard 'green' baggage car... If I need help in the mountains I can hook up my Trix model to push!  I have been doing research and believe I now have the correct models and length of train!  Hope to see you there.  I will try to take pictures but no guarantees...

Mitch

Edited by Mitch - 25 Nov 2014 at 11:33am
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 4:29pm

Looking forward to it, Mitch!

Gordon

Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 10:30am
Our club has a rooster of almost 20 members.  We will be having a smaller layout at the Tacoma show.  When we get out manning schedule published I will let you know the dates and times I will be there.

Just got 4 more cars for my RHEINGOLD!!! These are the older version of the Liliput cars and I bought them off ebay.  Now my train can be the correct length of the prototype.  The train never ran more than 9 cars.  I have one Baggage, four 1st class, and four 2nd class.  If I want to throw on one more baggage car I will use a 'standard' green, which I also have.  If my train needs a 'helper' engine I can use my Trix model to help 'push' the train.  I might try that, if I have the time.  I have never had an engine consist before, but some of my fellow members will do that commonly for the long American freight trains. 

Here is a picture and you can not see the entire train.
I plan to first use 7 cars, then maybe add more.  I need to see how big our layout will be.  A diagram of the layout has not been established yet.  I really like the look of the long passenger train.  This will be the longest train I ever ran!

Most of the models on the wall are Marklin. (or are AC models)  I have my trains that I take to shows boxed up and ready to go.  

The loco in picture is my first choice of engine to pull this train, it is a Marklin model.  The loco I will pull the train with is the new Roco Bavarian model I purchased from REI recently.  It is a DCC model.

Mitch

Edited by Mitch - 26 Nov 2014 at 10:44am
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 11:33am
Even with DCC consisting, you may find that a powered helper on the back of a train may be problematic.  The pulling and pushing forces at the front and back will not be equal as parts of the train enter or leave curves or go through switches.

A much better solution may be to have two powered locomotives at the front.

For more modern era modelers, several model manufacturers offer dummy (unpowered) locomotives, which can be used as simulated pushers.  On my planned layout, I plan to have a number of trains with two locomotives up front -- and at least one with a simulated pusher in the back, as I already own one Roco dummy locomotive.

-- Ernest

Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 1:31am
Thanks for the info on the "pusher".  Our layout is all flat anyway.  One of our members likes to run long trains. (American prototypes)  Last show his train had 5 engines and he was pulling 107 freight cars.  I had my Rheingold on a siding and waited for him to back into the yard and break his train apart before I came back on the main line.  I'll have to ask him how many engines were 'real'.

I am surfing the REI site as I might order another loco during the sale w/e.  It is nice to have options and run different trains.  As you see I have plenty, by my DCC collection is very new and limited.  

Since our layout will be set up for 10 days, I hope to be able to be there as many days as possible.  We will have a schedule and limit the number of our operators at the show.

I will post a list of what I plan to run and the times I will be at the show.  I hope if someone lives in the NW you can come to the show.

Mitch

Edited by Mitch - 29 Nov 2014 at 1:37am
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 5:29pm
Hi All, 

Just put in an order with REI... I will show you what I plan to run when I get the locos at home...

on the idea of making 'consists'  I just opened up my NMRA magazine (I am required to belong to NMRA because for my club participation) There is an article under the column 'The pule of DCC' called "Consisting"  and to get to the point.  What I see is when you have a locomotive 'push' They suggest have a second operator on a second throttle to control that engine!  I like that idea.  I understand that the Rheingold might have used a 'pusher' to get over steep grades back in the day of steam...

back to my article.

Have a great day, Mitch
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 1:33pm
With less than 3 weeks to go to the next show, I just received a package from REI.  I am starting a shelf layout in my 'hobby / play room'  for now it will be 1 foot wide and a point to point 'L' layout the room is about 12 by 19 feet.

I have transformers for AC, AC digital, and DC.  I need to get DCC (DC digital)

Here is my new train:

The engine I bought on the 'Black Friday Sale' Brawa model 43014.  Available now from REI, at full price.
The baggage car is a Marklin Primex long OOP.  I bought at a swap meet. Changed out wheel sets for DC.
The passenger cars is a set of 4 (1 shown) Roco 44050, also OOP. I bought several years ago.

I first brought my Roco models to a show a while back, but they did not look right.  Also my little Bachman engine had a hard time to pull them.  The cars look great with my new engine, but I thought something was missing.  Then I remembered I had a blue Primex model.  I went into my vault (spare room) and found a beautiful little Primex model of a baggage car of the Orient Express! Now I have a complete train!

More coming!

Mitch 

PS:  The Marklin/Primex model is the 'tin plate' style, but looks very nice.  Although the models come from 3 different mfg. and built at different times the dark blue and gold strips look perfect to me.  It looks like this could have been produced to be from one set.

Edited by Mitch - 03 Dec 2014 at 1:45pm
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 8:24pm
UPDATE:

In the Roco box was my receipt from almost 20 years ago along with extra parts and stickers for the cars.  I added the hand rails and an air tank under the car.  I then applied the sign boards to the sides of the cars.  The first one broke and I did not realize the clear plastic is removed after.  It is okay and patched on.  After that I got better.

I like the cars better with the destination boards on the cars.  Each car has 4 destination boards.  There were a few more stickers but I was having difficulty with these nearly 20 y/o stickers and was happy enough to get on what I did.
I was checking my other cars and getting ready for the show.  I will be leaving off the front coupler on the locomotives and the last coupler on the last car.  I see I have some prototypical hooks, but they do not fit into the NEM pocket.

Mitch

PS: I ordered some lighting  sets and other stuff from REI for some other cars I have.  I want to present my trains the best they can be for the shows.  I am looking forward to getting my train running at home.  I also got some relief houses from REI, Faller kit 130430 (6 houses) which should work well in my house as my 'shelf' layout does not have much depth.  I plan to use my home layout as I develop my modules for shows.  I will see what 'works' and what I like that will fit together for the club.

OMG:  I just realized my DCC engine works on DC.  It needs about 1/2 power and then starts up. It goes though a sound sequence then starts moving.  At full power it still moves slow.  I NEED TO GET a DCC power supply for home!  This is my NEW FAVORITE ENGINE!  The sound is just spectacular!

Mitch Tongue

Edited by Mitch - 03 Dec 2014 at 8:50pm
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 9:12pm
Mitch,

First, almost all decoder-equipped locos will also run on straight DC.  All modern decoders can detect the type of power supply and then act accordingly.

I really, really like the Roco Multimaus as a digital controller.  (I got one used at a very good price, but plan to get a second one with the purchase of a start-set that includes other items that I want.)

Take a look at Roco and Fleischmann start sets and see if any of them have items that you want.  Typically, with a start set, you get the total package for about half of what the individual items, including digital controls, would cost when added together.

The Roco and Fleischmann Multimaus controls are identical except for the color and labeling on the case.  Both Roco and Fleischmann are now owned by the same holding company, and that company has decided to go mostly with the Roco digital items.

After getting a package from Reynauld's this week, I installed decoders in several locomotives and then programmed the decoders, including consist programming for my two 1014 Austrian electrics.

Important point that I learned:  One of my 1014 locos was bought used with a decoder installed.  However, I couldn't get the two locos to behave identically with two different decoders installed.  So, I pulled the existing decoder (and put it in a loco that will operate solo) and now had identical decoders in both the 1014 models.  Now they run perfectly together as a tandem set -- in both digital and analog modes.

(You may also want to consider having identical decoders in any locos you plan to operate together on the same train.)

These were all installations on locos that already had a plug-in interface.  My next project will be my first installation in an older loco that does not already have a socket.  That will take some soldering, but I've done that before on other projects.

-- Ernest

Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 9:43pm
Thanks Ernest,

For now I am building up my trains.  I put all the cars together and it just seems a bit short.  (I am thinking about my club) Here is a picture of the Orient:
So just on a whim I went on ebay.  While others are looking I just bought another Roco set of 4 cars. (Buy it now) The price was a bit less than what I have in my receipt from 18 years ago, so I am happy.  Looks like I have to add the extras on these cars also!  It may take some time as it is coming from Germany.

So my Rhiengold Express and Orient Express (modern) can be the same length of 9 cars.

When I get my order from REI, I will show you what's next!

Mitch

Edited by Mitch - 03 Dec 2014 at 9:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic