Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > European Model Train Clubs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Euro modeling in the Seattle/Portland area?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 10:13pm
Okay Eu-rail Fans: 

Our layout is set up.  It took 9 guys 5 hours.  I will be running at least 4 different European Passenger Trains over the next 2 weeks.  I will bring in my Bavarian freight train latter this week.  Opening day is  tomorrow.  The show will run until January 1st! I will post pictures.

This is the Train Festival at the Washington History Museum in Tacoma, WA.  It is located in the old Union Station in Tacoma, Washington!  The show starts tomorrow and will run every day from 10-5.  Closed on Dec 24th and 25th.  

There are many layouts in the museum. We are set up on the 5th floor.  I am with the Seattle, Pacific & Eastern HO RR Club. We have green polo shirts!  If you live in the Puget Sound Region, please stop in and say "Hello".

Mitch Big smile

Edited by Mitch - 20 Dec 2014 at 10:21pm
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 9:27am
Good Morning: 

Yesterday I ran a 5th train I have at the show.  I just received this Roco class 89, and I am pulling my Flieschmann "Edelwiess" cars.  I bought these cars from REI a while back when they were OOP but Rey still had a few left on the shelf.

The train is going over our lift bridge.  This is how we get in and out of our layout.

There are are 12 Model RR clubs at the museum.  The museum is located next to Union Station and although it has similar architecture it is a separate building and built much latter.

Mitch

Edited by Mitch - 23 Dec 2014 at 9:27am
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 2:23pm
Today is the last day of the show.  I purchased a new model and will share photo here although I will not operate it at the show as it is Marklin 3 rail.

My new model is the "Glass Train" on the bottom.  Although it was available in Trix also I decided to buy the Marklin version as I hope to be operating my layout at home in 2015.

I might even consider making a sectional Marklin layout to bring to a show.  That may take some time, as I will be attempting this solo.  

So I will put it out here now... If there is anyone in the Seattle/Portland area that would like to attempt a modest Marklin operation for the show circuit let me know and maybe we can combine our efforts.  As for me I will continue learning and operating my Trains with my club, and plan to build at least one module for that club this year.

Thank You all and Happy New Year, from Mitch the Marklin Guy 
Bundesbahn View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 9:43pm
Hi Mitch

I have avidly followed your postings. Quite interesting, I must say. I admire your fervor and effort.

I am an old 'Maerklin Guy' myself, but I am open and supportive to anyone, no matter what they do. In some ways, we are all in the same boat. Some are beginners, some others know what nobody else knows.

You say you will try to construct a Maerklin layout for the Show. Is this going to be analogue or digital? I would like to know. I may be able to give you some advice, I hope.

Roger (Choo Choo)
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 1:16am
Thank you and as you know, talk is easy, it's tough to get it done... and I have other hobbies also.  I build and fly balsa and paper airplanes powered by rubber bands.  Here is one of my planes:
This model flies with about 2000 winds on 8 feet of rubber.
...and I spend half my life at sea aboard ship:
Bound to Alaska aboard the containership Horizon Tacoma.  I work as Mate.

But when I am home I have a lot of time. But that has to be shared with other interests.  I play golf and do ballroom dancing, and other interests also.

But if I could build a portable layout I would make it analog, use my M track.  I would also like to add some signals... and dare I say... some basic catenary?

I could be a simple layout but operate a few trains like only Marklin could before digital.  At least that is my dream.

I have the idea for just a little catenary because I was running my Swiss electric and people do not even realize the model is capable of running  from the overhead wires!  I know you should not do that with digital. But I have so many unique analog models and many are electric.  I always liked watching them run from the overhead wire with that blue spark as they went around my layout.  And all my big steam engines puffing out smoke!

Mitch 

Edited by Mitch - 03 Jan 2015 at 1:29am
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 7:10am
Mitch:

I run several engines with 2 and 3 axles: Roco V36 (3 axles, but one with traction tires) and BR 98 (two axles) have two axles for pickup, Fleischmann T3 and Roco V60 have three axles.  Ihave no problem on Fleischmann, Atlas Snap switches and Piko switches, however nothing worked on Atlas #4 turnouts before I polarized the point.  Once in a blue moon, the V36 and 98 may not start if I stop exactly with one wheel on the insulated section of a Fleischmann switch (which is a bad idea anyhow).  The secret to operating engines with short wheelbase is that you track is layed down very well.  If you use C-track, that is not too difficult.  With regular track, fine adjustments are necessary.  I have made it a "policy" to fix any discovered track and contact problem immediately.  My father who introduced me to model trains gave me the tip:  Every loco and every car has to run without problems through any section of track on the layout (with the obvious exception of long cars and engines on industrial tracks).  It takes some time at the beginning, but in operating my new layout for the last 2 years with fine tuning the track, I have barely any derailments (about one a month) which cannot be explained by operator error like wrongly aligned switches.

Ulrich
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 11:49am
The reason I said M track is because I have sufficient quantity. Also it is sturdy and I believe it will stand up to this type of use. When I was a boy the hobby store The Caboose had a Marklin layout that I remember was about 4x4. The train would stop and the viewer could push a button to change the signal. The train would go though the crossing and into a tunnel and a different train would come out.
My second reason for M track is nostalgia. I know several gentlemen that would like to see trains run on M track.
My third reason is to save my C track for my home layout.
Mitch

Edited by Mitch - 03 Jan 2015 at 11:51am
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 3:45pm
Mitch:

When I said regular track, I was referring to K-Track in case of AC, and non-ballasted track in the DC-world.  For the purposes of above, M-track is equivalent to C-track.

Ulrich
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 12:22pm
Hi Guys,  

It has been a while since I was here, and I am on a ship again.  Day off and I get off the ship next week.  I am clearing out my game room to make it my train room, and working on possible track plans and planning the bench work.  My room is 11'-10" x 19'-03".  The room has 2 doors. but I could accept to block off the door to the Garage.

My watch partner on the ship is a train guy , and he is helping me with ideas for a possible layout.

My theme will be Passenger Stations, with some track for industry.  I want elevation changes as I plan to recreate my version of Bavaria, Austria, and the Swiss Alps. 

I have so many ideas but with limited space I can not do everything... I would also like a Roundhouse for my Steam Engines...

I am still in my club and I need to build at least 1 modual soon.  That will be 2 rail DCC, 30" x 48".

My home layout will be 3 rail Marklin!

...so to sum up I have 3 projects for 2015.  Build a modual for my club.  Start my home layout that will be Marklin Digital with C track, and start the concept for a portable layout with Marlklin Analog with M track to bring to a show... phew... I think I need to take a break... back to the ship.

Mitch Big smile

Edited by Mitch - 01 Jul 2015 at 12:33pm
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 2:05pm

Glad to see you back, Mitch!  I like your idea for your train room - my dream layout would be about that size (but n scale) and include a Dutch section as well as the Rhein.  Of course I have no place to do such a layout, so I'll live vicariously through your construction phase!

Gordon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic