Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Miscellaneous
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Changing Loco Codes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing Loco Codes
    Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 6:22pm
Currently I have a combination of Fleischman and Roco locos controlled digitally. These are controlled by a Lenz Compact controller  Art No 60500 with an attached add on Lenz LH30 compact Art No 21030.
I cannot change the loco address for the Fleischmann Locos but have no problems with the Roco locos.
With this set up in all other respects they work fine.  Any suggestions probably short of throwing them both away would be most appreciated.
Cheers
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 7:48am
John,

I checked on German websites, and that seems to be somewhat of a problem.  Apparently, Fleischmann twin decoders do not like to be programmed by anything else but Fleischmann articles.  First question:  What scale do you wok in, secondly what type of decoder do you have?  Fleischmann twin decoders come with a capacitor to guarantee compatibility to the old FMZ-system.  I read on several German webpages that this capacitor should be removed and the two wires leading to it connected.  I have never worked with Fleischmann decoders, so I never had to do this.    Therefore, you do this at your own risk.  Moreover, keep in mind that, after the surgery, your twin decoder cannot be used on track that also provides the FMZ signal.  Since you use the Lenz Compact, this is not an issue.   However, as long as  you try to program the loco on the programming track only and not on the main, this should be fine.  Just change CV01 to the address you want, and try to read it.  If you can read the new address, you should be fine.  Finally, I also read that the twin decoders do not like programming on the main in general.

Because of such problems, I stay away from factory specific products.  I have used Digitrax and TCS decoders, and they work fine.  Also, I have a Lenz 1835 which sometimes acts weird, but I heard from friends that that is something they experienced too.  Finally, TAMS and ESU make good decoders too, but I never used them.

Ulrich

Edited by BR42 - 23 Mar 2012 at 7:50am
JohnS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 5:22pm
Thanks Ulrich,
The gauge I use is HO and the decoders in the Fleischmann Locos are Fleischmann's own model 6876. For me in this part of the world the language is a bit of a problem also. Anyway thanks very much for your comments.
John S 
JohnS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 5:42pm
PS I do use a special programming track.
JS
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 6:46am
John,

Since you work in HO, it should be a little easier.

First, try to program the loco on the programming track in various modes.  Check your compact Manual for the ones besides programming-on-the-main (POM).

If none works, try to jump the capacitor.  In HO you should be able to get to the capacitor without having to clip the wires.

Ulrich
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic