Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ulrich's HO Layout II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 5:24am

We are looking forward to seeing the "finished" product, Ulrich!

Gordon

BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 10:11pm
Hello Gordon:

Yes pictures will follow.  Right now, I am glad to tell you that I am officially done (as far as done is ever coming true for a layout).  I finished installing the last items. 

Just in case someone is wondering how many detail parts go into a layout on top of the expected material like track and buildings:

a) There are about 200 trees.

b) The number of figures by Preiser, Merten, and others is above 500 (and I still need a few sitting people for a garden scene and a few male farmers).

c) 52 motor vehicles roam the streets.

d) Train movement is controlled by 28 operating signals plus 12 waiting signals Ra12.

e) There are 37 regular switches, 11 of which are curved switches, one three way switch, and three double throw switches. 

Ulrich

Edited by BR42 - 31 Dec 2013 at 10:12pm
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 9:28pm
Hello!

Well, a layout is never completed.  I decided to add one more track in the stubend station, and equip it with an industry, namely a small tank farm from Faller.  I would have loved to use the big ones, but there was no space, so they are thought to be off the layout.  In addition, the front of the track to the tank farm will be used as a team track.  Finally, the outer stub track on the main station will receive a coal dealer ship from Kibri. This way I have industries to spot several of my coal cars and tank cars on the layout.  The more I read in Magazines about operations, the more I become interested in switching operations.  The package with the two kits arrived from Reynauld's today.  I will start adding the track on Saturday, and ballast it on Sunday.  By Monday, I hope that the buildings are in place.

I try to make pictures once everything is complete.

Ulrich
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 7:11pm
Hello:

I had used the old Marklin catenary since I had almost an infinite amount of them.  Even after adding all the catenary there still is a large amount left.  While it may not pass the "best looking catenary" competition, it has some advantages.  Yesterday, I had a problem with one of my turnouts.  It was in the middle of the catenary field of the right end of the terminal, and I had to stick my hands in there.  Well, I fixed the turnout after some time, and found that my catenary did not suffer any damage or even dislocation!  Well it may not be realistic, but surely is indestructible (which is what the Eisenbahn Magazin's rating was in 2003).

Ulrich
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 7:32pm
Hello:

Now that the semester has ended, I think it is time for another update.  While academics and some other issues have kept me rather busy over the last three months, I did some work on the layout to get through the stress:

a)  I started to install decouplers in all the station tracks, and have about 10 more to go for the stub-end-station.  I chose those by Uhlenbrock and Herkat, called REPA decouplers, because they can easily be added after the track is installed.  I found that switching is much more fun this way since 99% of the time there is no need to stick a tool in between the overhead catenary in order to separate cars..

b) I worked on the signalling system.  I thought originally that the small intermediate station did not need entrance signals, but, alas, some research showed that any station on a main line needs entrance and exit signals.  On secondary line you can forgo the entrance signals if the top speed is less than 50km/h, the exit signals if speeds do not exceed 60km/h.  Since I did not want to model a secondary line, the signaling had to be upgraded.  I still did not build a fully automated signaling system although I was very tempted.  Team Digital offers two decoders, the SIC24AD and the SRC162 which would allow to set up such a system.  But it gets very messy.  Maybe after I retired.

Ulrich 

Edited by BR42 - 05 Dec 2014 at 9:08pm
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 9:02pm
That is just amazing!

Mitch
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 2:11pm
Hello:

In my last posting, I said that I was going to use signal decoders from Teamdigital to control the signals.  However, I abandoned that idea since I could use old relais and the remote route function of the Teamdigital SMD8 to achieve almost the same. 

Almost, because some of the fancy features are missing like the following: Throwing turnouts causes a readjustment of the signals based on the signal logic.  For instance, if the exit signal for  Track 1 is set to green, and I change the switches so that the next train will leave from Track 3 instead, but in the same direction, then the fancy logic would change the Track 1 signal to red, and the one for Track 3 to green. I still need to do this manually, and I used reed contacts and tiny magnets under the loco instead of electronic detection.  Saved about $350, so I can definitely live with this. Rather buy a loco from Reynauld's with this.

Ulrich
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 12:39pm
Hello:

Another update.  Spring break is around the corner, and I will take a day off to complete the last wiring details:  There are three more decouplers that need to be installed, and a few more signals.  When this is done, the signalling system will be "almost" like the one used by the real German railroad.  I say almost since there are some items one cannot duplicate on a medium sizes home layout:

a)  The distance between distance signals and main signals are much too short.  They are between 400m and 1200m in reality, which corresponds to 4.5m and 13.5m in H0. Following a suggestion in MIBA Report Signale 4, I shortened that to between .75m and 1.2m with the argument that my mainline has a speed limit of 100km/h due to the curvature.

b)  The signals at the entrance of the station are too close to the first switch, they should be about 2m away.  Again, this is impossible to achieve, so I settled for about 1m from the end of the platform.  

In real life, these distance  is to provide enough space for a train to come to stop after passing a stop indication (Hp0) before it hits another train stopped in the station or vice-verse (slide through protection).  In the ideal world slide through protection should be provided in both direction, but it is reasonable to assume that two trains in opposite direction will not slide through a red signal at the same time.  Therefore, such short distances are permitted under the law if the "Bunedsbahnzentralamt = Main Railroad Administrative Office" gives permission.  I got it from the main office in form of the statement:  "No, you cannot have the whole basement for the train".

c)  The entrance signals to the two through stations should be able to show Hp0 (Stop), Hp1 (Go), and Hp2 (Go with speed restriction 40km/h).  Mine only show Hp0 and Hp1 since I assume that I have great points which allow 70km/h, so Hp2 cannot be used.  However, Track 1 and Track 2 of the main station have a restricted exit speed of 50km/h so Hp2 will signaled for train leaving.

Ulrich
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 10:16pm
Hello Everyone:

I have some news on the layout which I want to report.  My wife and I just bought a new house.  She needed a larger room for her art projects, and the layout will be in it too.  It was built in such a way that it can be disassembled into portable pieces.  Since there are no stairs to be negotiated, it should be a relatively simple operation.  There will be a need for some cosmetic repairs and re-ballasting of the track over the joints, but that should not take that long.

The good news is that I finally got space for a turntable and a roundhouse.  I had bought the turntable many years ago in Germany in the hope to find a place for it, but alas it has been waiting for some time.  The turntable will go at the end of the stub station between the wall and the station building.  It will be sitting on a shelf 16" wide which is perpendicular to the station (picture of stub station further down the thread). This shelve will also hold the roundhouse, and here is there I am still working on the design.

The turntable gives me the options to have either 15 degree or 7.5 degree angle for the stall track.  With the former, only three stalls are possible, but the length of the shelf will be only 32".  With the latter, I can fit 5 stalls on the shelf, which then has to be 40" long; and I may even be able to add a foreshortened sixth.  Since he coaling facilities at the station are rather small, the 3 stalls would be more in proportion to the station, but the 5 1/2 stalls are really cool.  Unfortunately, there is no way to enlarge the coaling facilities without infringing on the art area seriously. 

Friends: Any input:  Go for the large roundhouse with 5 1/2 stalls, and pretend coaling is on the not modeled part of the layout, or choose the 3-stall version appropriate for an end of the line station on a secondary line?

Ulrich
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 7:32am
Hello:

Here is the most realistic plan for the extension.  It uses a 3 stall, 7.5 degree engine shed.  The othe 2 1/2 stalls were replaced by the coaling station, which otherwise would have been at the other nd on the station.  This gives more space at that end to park electrics and passenger cars.

Ulrich

P.S.:  Bekohlung stands for coaling facilities

Edited by BR42 - 23 Dec 2015 at 7:33am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic