Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Military Trains
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - help installing Roco loco in Artmaster Armored tra
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

help installing Roco loco in Artmaster Armored tra

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tautemarite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help installing Roco loco in Artmaster Armored tra
    Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 11:36pm
Hello,

After a long delay I am starting a great project. To add an operating HO mechanism to an Artmaster Panzerzug BP42 BR 57 armored locomotive.

Theoretically the Roco (#62231) BR 57 loco (and tender) will just screw in and off I go. Right off the bat I have a problem. I cannot get the plug out of the tender electrical board and then be able to take off the Roco tender body and then mount the chasis to the Artmaster armored tender.

The electrical plug is so tight that I cannot get it to release. I don't want to break anything so thought I would seek help on the forum. I first tried finger pressure. No work. Then I gently tried small pleirs-no work. Anyone familiar with decoders and/or Roco teardowns and lubrication should be able to tell me the secret to removing this simple plug. I have all the papers that came with the new loco but there are no words, only pictures. This plug has to come out to separate the tender from the loco and to remove the tender shell. There is also a mechanical "socket" that comes off very easily.

Any advice?

Chuck
tautemarite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tautemarite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 11:46pm
I will take photos as I go through the conversion and post them if there is interest. I guess there are instructions on how to post photos?
Chuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tautemarite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 9:25pm
I have solved the Roco plug problem. There was a tiny brass retainer clip/plug that had to be removed before I could remove the main electrical plug. It was almost part of the plug but could be gently pried out separately. Then the plug itself could be moved out one side at a time, slowly. Now the loco and tender are separate and I can "start" my conversion to the Artmaster armored loco and tender.
I will take a photo of the tiny plug/clip in case anyone else has to take apart a similar Roco loco. Too bad there was no mention of this in the instructions-only a diagram that showed the plug being pulled out.
Chuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tautemarite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 1:30pm
I have since removed the Roco tender and loco shells. The Artmaster shells do not fit very well, even though they were supposedly made for this mechanism .

I am filling a lot of material off on the Armaster tender shell and there are no attachment points. Either I leave it as a gravity -only fit or figure out how to use the Roco screws. I would have to invent a screw-in tube to tie the 2 together. I am filling to allow the shell to fit down about an inch. It now fits over the Roco tender mechanism but sits about an inch too high.

The loco shell is much more difficult. One of the 2 screws might attach to the shell tube but the forward attachment screw tube is about an inch too far forward. I will have to cut it out and figure out where exactly to glue in another. The existing bulkhead brace and screw tube interfere with the Roco metal smokestack (maybe smoke producing).

I have been taking photos as I go and as soon as Rey can tell us how to include photos here, I will include a few. I tried the photobucket and the other option and they would not fully work with my computer.

Chuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tautemarite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 12:17am
Hello,
I think this project belongs somewhere else in the forum as my initial request was small and very specific. Now I am proceeding with greatly modifying the Artmaster loco and tender shell to fit. I basically am constructing an armored loco and tender almost from  scratch.

I would like to include photos of progress in case anyone else wants to build one of these unique models as an operational armored train.

Any thought about where it fits best in the Forum topics? There is no military category.
Chuck
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 5:21am

Hey, Chuck ~

It sounds as though you are having quite the learning experience.  I am surprised that no one has jumped in with help, though I bet others are following your progress with interest.  Since there is no "military" forum, Miscellaneous is as good as any.

If you post pix on photobucket, you can then link them here.  Just be sure you don't end up with a double http/ prefixing the URL.

Looking forward to seeing your photos,

Gordon

BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 8:46pm
Now we do have a topic for military trains.

Ulrich

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tautemarite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 10:20pm
I had not checked the Forum for awhile and am very pleased that there is a military forum now. I tried the photobucket before but my browser is not compatible with it. Rey has said he would add a photo feature to the Forum but I think he has been tied up with Nurenberg.

I have been side tracked from my armored loco conversion but will get into it again now that there is an interest. I go in for hip replacement surgery on 4/14 so I will try to make some real progress before then. Then I will be out of commission for at least a month or 2.

Thanks for your interest.

Chuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tautemarite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 10:22pm
The email notification system worked for a month or so but now I realize it is not working anymore. That is why I have not posted since December 3013 as I thought there was not anything going on. I guess I must check the Forum weekly or so.
Chuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tautemarite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 10:29pm
For anyone interested in military trains, Rivarossi has just released several USATC versions of WW2 S 100 steam locomotives (small switcher) that were shipped to Europe, Iran and many other parts of the world just after WW2. You can get models with European buffers or without. I bought one and it runs very, very well, but it came without lights (HR2476)-a surprise. Some have lights, some do not. Be sure to ask before you order. Reynaulds did have them last month.
Chuck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic