Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

German Rhine River Valley Railroad (HO)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 2:20pm
Thank you for the flowers Gordon.

Unfortunately, the forum was again down for three days and it seems this will continue until Reynaulds decides to shut it down because it seems to much maintenance. I'm in the progress of thinking to do one on my own.
Anyway, little progress was made on my side since the work load I have before Christmas.
So here are two pictures of what I'm working at the moment.

Prototypical would be to have the rail even to the street surface but for a stable operation they stand out around 2mm so the rails of the locomotive and the crane always have good contact and no obstacles can be in the way or stick between it.

Edited by RRVRR - 21 Dec 2017 at 2:26pm
best, Markus

BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 2:03pm
Hello:

Yes, it would be nice to be able to run the forum off a reliable server.  I have been the official webmaster, but do not have access to the server.  The IT guys are in charge of that.

Ulrich
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 5:14pm
This Forum comes closer to reflecting my interests than any other, so I'm hanging in there. I'll be glad to do anything I can to help. Froliche Weihnachten my friends!
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 12:38pm
To be honest, I do not get it why this goes offline all the time. We have two different faults.

1. the white pages that says error in  script or something like it (can't recall)
2. down for maintenance

If the server is the problem - easy solution, change the provider. The forum does not have to be down for this procedure a long time, maybe a few hours and it's done. I have rented/leased a server (share it with three other user) from a webhoster in Germany, it is up for 99.9% and when it is down than for max 2-3 hours and to 99% it is a scheduled maintenance. But over here it is unpredictable and I remember that we had some more users here using it but since this is unreliable they walked away. So all efforts to get more traffic to this side are a waste of time until it is stable.

At the German train forum, where I also be a member, I'm online every day a couple times. In the five years I'm a member I saw it offline just two times for a few hours. And one of those down times was announced for maintenance. The forum is owned by a private person that does it for fun, he has no gain or makes any profit, quite the opposite....it cost some bugs.

Anyway, I hope everybody had a nice Christmas. I hoped to have a few days to work on my layout but my wife had other plans for me so time was almost planned out for me.

I just had two hours where I continued with the harbor floor and prepared some outer areas with plaster cloths but I'm not sure if I leave it like that or remove it an glue foam in place and carve into the foam.

Edited by RRVRR - 26 Jan 2018 at 11:02am
best, Markus

RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 12:46pm
The forum was not available for me during last week, checked at different times. It really makes no sense in using it anymore. How do you can attract interest in such if it is mostly offline??

I hoped to use it to show my progress from start to finish to might help others, get ideas - show ideas, etc., but this way is is not really worth the effort and there is no word from Reynaulds on "why". They deal with it now over a year what I really can't understand.

So small progress is made since man-cave time is rare.

This year I had a big problem during the heating period, my wood tried out and shrank so tracks where trying to expand really bad. I was still lucky since I glued down only 80% of each of my flex track so the unglued section can expand and it did, especially in the hidden staging yard.

Also on the visible track since most of my track is not glued and ballasted at the moment.

All the gabs I cut into the rails to divide it for block control where closed and touching each other, so I estimate the whole thing shrank around 3-4mm.

As I measured the humidity levels it was at 13% what is way to dry, also for humans and pets. A healthy level would be around 50% because it also can help to prevent viral infections. With that new knowledge I rushed to buy two humidifiers to raise the levels and hoped the wood will expand back. Long story short, it worked. Right now I hold the levels at around 24%. I guess I will add a device to the air stream of the A/C so I can control the levels in the whole house.

If I wouldn't had this "expansion" build in things would be much worst, so lesson learned for the future.

For my small suburban train station that should be placed above the helix I had to find out that I had to go higher with the surface so trains can pass underneath. This was kind of a fault in my planning. I moved the tracks away from the helix but forgot the building has to be on the same level. So the building coulndn't be placed at the designated space. First I was thinking to move it to the curve but it looked not good. So I added more space to the outside of the layout so I was able to place the building on the other side of the main line.

I still have a whole shelf full of buildings that needs to be build. Here is one of them.

This Hotel was plant to be close to the castle, so here are some pictures on how it will be placed.

The castle gets a also new stairs

best, Markus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 10:36pm
Looking very fine, Markus.

Strangely, I have not had trouble with humidity. We rarely have any (and my layout is smaller). Last summer I did have a track buckle due to heat expansion, but Dremelling an expansion joint cured that. Temperature in the barn was 105 F.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 10:44am
small update
dismantled the platforms from the Kibri kit since it has not have the desired height I would need and started on my own version of platforms (designed in AutoCAD and laser cut)....here are some pictures.

old platform surface (right) versus new platform surface (left)

New platforms are in place now

Since the platform of my train station building is also to low I have to fix it as well

This picture show how it will look like when it is finish

...and with tracks

Overview...

First filling......

I'm also constructing stairs for crossing the tracks underneath.

Handrails and lights are done so they are ready to be placed

Edited by RRVRR - 26 Jan 2018 at 10:47am
best, Markus

RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 7:20am
more progress

Edited by RRVRR - 31 Jan 2018 at 7:21am
best, Markus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 1:50am
Great work, Markus! I like the laser cut Bahnsteige.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 1:35pm
Thanks Gordon,

After days of drying I finally have the Platforms surfaced, now I can work on the the buildings and details.

best, Markus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
  Share Topic