Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

German Rhine River Valley Railroad (HO)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reynauld1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 9:06am
Markus thanks for taking the time to share, you work is excellent.  I love the pictures.

Thanks

Rey
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 8:56am
Small update:

I started now with the construction of the framework but during my lack of free space I have to move stuff around all the time. In spring 2015 I like to expand the room to the desired size so I have to enclose the porch what will give me another 6 feet of space.

Here are some pictures of the construction also I started on the coal mine.

more will follow....

Edited by RRVRR - 13 Feb 2015 at 8:26am
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 6:49pm
Great Work.  What CAD program are you using to do you track planning?

Is that Faller Disco Kit still available?  I could not find it.  I was at a dance party the other night with my dance school (Ballroom Dancing) and we were at a venue with large glass windows like that.

You are an inspiration to us all.

Right now I am just at the early stages of planning and room preparation. 

Mitch

Edited by Mitch - 15 Dec 2014 at 6:51pm
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 7:49am
@ Mitch
The track planning Software I use is called WinTrack and is a German Software but also available in English. It supports some Walthers Kits and Peco Track. As far as I know and spoke the last time with them they had trouble to get the track informations from Atlas and Shiohara. This is the Link to there English Website: http://www.wintrack.de/usa.html

The Faller Disco is a really old kit, I was lucky to find a non build version at ebay. Once in a while you still will find them but it is out of production for many years.

Thanks Mitch, we all like to see what you are building so please don't forget to make pictures and post it here.

Markus
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 8:04am
btw...the software can do more, you also can run a train over your layout that you are planning and you can have a cab view, here are some videos from my layout (down site there is no record function yet so I used my cell phone to record it). It will give you a different view of what you are planning.

With the ICE over the main line, starting at the main station

With a BR218 through the industrial district and the harbor

With the BR218 to the coal mine

Edited by RRVRR - 29 Dec 2014 at 8:09am
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 1:47pm
Here is another update on the progress of the layout.

I started with the first Helix

to keep the same distance without adjusting each level I cut a 1/2" water pipe to the length I need to get the right clearance (in my case according to NEM 90mm).

For safety I added a fall protection to the outside (the inside will follow later)

After testing the track work, it was time to put the lid on top of it Big smile (in my case the Airport section

Space is always a rare thing for Model Railroaders so I try to use any free space I have for storage so I build me a shelf out of left overs for my colors

In addition I added a small section to the Airport to park other Airplane Models (all kids I build or still have to build)

The Coal Mine is also making some progress.

The HOe (narrow gauge) is just a point to point line and will be parked in the tunnel or in front of the depot to give the line a purpose.

first vegetation layer is added

If somebody will notice the "hovering" beams,  I used Siemens "Air Hooks" (I'm kidding, just not done yet) Embarrassed

The background actually was finish but the blue I painted the room with is to light for my taste so I used a darker blue to over paint it. With a spray gun I made a transition to the lighter color so it looks more like a horizon. Now I have to beg my wife for painting the clouds again.

It looks like that I still have some work to do on the tracks and the balast

upcoming work forecast Wink

Edited by RRVRR - 20 Feb 2015 at 9:16am
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 2:16pm
Some progress was made...have convinced my wife to start painting the backdrop beginning with the clouds first (not done yet).

I also had some time to continue on the passenger station...

Next on the list is the Station itself, a big building with almost 5ft.

RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 11:18am
Small update:
Backdrop is done with painting. Right know I think about to add a background Building to give it even more depth.

I'm also almost done with the lighting. The flashing tower light is not visible (was not be able to catch it on cam). Two of the three animated shaft elevators are tested to make sure they work.

Next step is to add new lighting above the layout that accomplish the goal that no shadow develops at the backdrop, continues brightness over the whole layout (no dark/bright spots) and the possibility to have an automated day/night cycle. I already have a concept in mind but want to test it first to see if it works before I talk about it.

Like always - any comments are welcome.

Edited by RRVRR - 04 Mar 2015 at 11:21am
reynauld1963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reynauld1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 8:08am
Dear Markus;

I love your work, I keep telling myself that I need to find the time to get my layout starter.  You have been very inspiring to say the least.

Sincerely,

Reynauld
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 10:14am
Detailing work takes a lot of time and can't be rushed. I was caught up the last week in detailing, research for new materials and a lot of other things so I really can't show a lot of progress on the layout right now in form of pictures. But at least a little bit progress is visible and I guess more pictures will follow this week.

I started with the new train station from Faller called "Friedrichstadt" because the station "Bonn" (also from Faller) I had seems a little bit to small, here you can see it in comparison. The Friedrichstadt kit is around 4 1/2 ft. long.

Bonn in the front, Friedrichstadt behind (in the far back is the castle kitbash)

The layout moves forward, I started yesterday with the shadow yard after I changed the concept a little bit. I will have now five tracks for each direction with four sections, means storage space for forty trains. On every track I park four trains behind each other and I will program the software later the way that trains are pulled out in random order. So a train sequence will be twenty trains but no sequence will be the same. Well, so far the theory. Smile

Draft of the shadow station, each section can store a train up to 9-10ft., plenty for European trains

Start of the construction on the airport side

to be continued....

Edited by RRVRR - 16 Mar 2015 at 10:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
  Share Topic