Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

German Rhine River Valley Railroad (HO)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 12:22pm
Thanks for the update, Markus.   The Forum has been absent so much this year that I have forgotten what Era you are modeling.

The details for the maintenance yard are looking great!
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 3:14pm
I can't believe it, I can access the forum today. I usually get an Error.....anyway.

Here is an update on my progress....!

A little bit progress was made on the large castle

I'm still in the middle of collecting cars for the old-timer event.

On the power station is not a lot done, I cut out cardboard to level the bases of the kits.

Between my main station and the castle hill I have to build an underpass for my car system and I'm  closing some openings.

In the background I started with the first vine yard

and the first layer of vegetation is also growing... Wink

Finally, we got new windows for the whole house, means I finally can work on the main station

This means next task here is to work on the platforms.

The pictures are not in order since I worked in stages also before the window exchange but it shows what I did. A view picture above was a test for the pedestrian stairs to cross platforms under the track. To make this look like right I have to cut some holes.

This is how the test stairs look like. The final stairs are double in width.

In between I experience in smaller parts with my laser cutter. This is an induction device you will find on signals to sense a train and is part of the control system of the prototype. Small stuff like this makes the level of detail I like to accomplish.

In the small suburb town I have almost completed another house, it's the city hall and will be placed right in the middle. I also draw some lines for the car system.

I also completed my small fountain for the market place that I will have around it in front of the city hall.

Another building I'm working on is the scale model of the original switch tower in Ruedesheim. So many windows are screaming for interior...I'm on it. Smile

My harbor also gets seawalls, I started painting the plaster castings I had done awhile ago.

....a long post...a lot of pictures but you guys are now up to date and who knows when I can gain access again.

Edited by RRVRR - 13 Oct 2017 at 3:25pm
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 6:31pm
Welcome back, Markus! You have made fantastic progress since your last previous post. I hope to get on the computer tomorrow so I can examine the photos full size and at leisure. Looking at them on the phone just is inadequate.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:20am
Markus,

I love what you have done.  Had no chance to work much on my train the last year, too much things going on at work.

Ulrich

Edited by BR42 - 16 Oct 2017 at 6:20am
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 9:08am
Some progress on the layout....we changed our mind a little bit on the big castle and layed down what they call in Germany "Kopfsteinplaster". The rest of the way will get a white gravel, often used for that purpose.

My peninsula in the middle of the layout was originally planned to be a steel industry but in some brain storming sessions with my wife we came to the conclusion that I do not have enough space to build it without a lot of compromises and second it just not fit in scenery wise and will interrupt greatly the flair of the region. So the new plan is to extend the maintenance yard a little bit and have some light commercial there along with a track build and maintenance facility with a small switching yard. With that said I got to work and I'm close to the point where all track at the whole layout is laid down.

The last curve with super elevation is done as well

short overview of my chaos room

Yesterday it did some floor stone tile laying for one of the commercial buildings, my Glass Factory. Since they need to have supplies delivered by train a crane is needed. This one is a functional DCC model.

Some of you might noticed the factory, yes I build a diorama in the beginning but since this doesn't fit in I had to carefully remove everything and do it again, this time directly on the real deal LOL

The crane is not fully integrated yet as you can see but I think the floor starts to look good.

so, that's it for today..... Wink

Edited by RRVRR - 10 Nov 2017 at 9:13am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 9:29am
Coming along nicely, Markus!  I just went back to page 1 and reviewed your track plan; makes me wonder how in the world a person runs trains on it without getting confused. 

I hope you get your wire laid for the Faller Car System soon.  It is hard to run the wire under overpasses.  That overpass, with the curve uphill looks exactly like what I had to deal with.  I found I could not cut grooves under the overpass - I had to lay the wire and build up the road.  Transitions in grade were also difficult, and sometimes still cause problems two years after completion.  Viele Gluck!
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 1:49pm
Gordon,
I do not deal with the faller wire because it is a pain to do so as you have experience on your own. I use magnet wire, it is 3mm wide an 1mm thick. You lay it down as you wand and then fill the rest with 1mm thick card board. The gaps have to be filled with plaster, sand and paint it - Done.

Magnet wire can also be around 3mm below surface and the car still stay's on track. I did a test track with underpass, railroad crossing without that the steering magnet was loosing contact. It even works if the wire is underneath the stones (Plastersteine). The only thing I have to do is to find the balance that the steering magnet is not touching down to the street. It has to hover just above the surface.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 2:19pm
And you are working in HO, not N scale.

I sure missed the Forum all those times it was down. Hope more folks come back.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:53am
Yes I do HO but the principle is the same even it is a little bit more work to adjust the steering magnet on N-Scale but you should give it a try.

Yes, with that constant downtime of the forum Reynaulds lost the chance to grow the forum community. But for them it seems the forum has a really low priority and I do not see anymore any posts from Rey or any other person from the store. Rey asked me a few times if I would be willing to help out with some things and when I replied with yes I didn't get any feedback since then. In the past I kept this thread up to date the same way as the one I do in a German Community Forum but this changed. Here I just show some updates and login from time to time since it looks like there are just 4-5 people active anymore. So the time where we got new members and more activities are gone thanks to the constant down time.

I continued a little bit on the layout. One problem I face is the track at the harbor. I want this integrated in the floor, not on ties that I need to ballast. My solution is to engrave grooves with my laser into the the underlay material, remove the tracks and glue it on. So I have the right space for the crane and the rolling stock and can use my filling material to cover the space in between.

the track is raised around one milimeter higher then the filling material just for safety so the crane and locos are not sitting on the material and loosing contact.

On my glass factory I finished laying the floor and test now out on how I do the fencing.

...to be continued

Edited by RRVRR - 14 Nov 2017 at 8:55am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 10:19am
Fascinating details!  I hope to refer to this should I ever get the chance to do a larger layout.  And I would also take your advice on the magnet wire.

I've had an interesting problem lately with a Faller Bus.  I bought a Spare Bus, just in case I am at a show and Bus #1 develops problems.  The Spare follows the wires properly, but when it gets to the stops, the steering magnet grabs the stop electromagnet.  This stops it short of the intended stop and also throws the steering magnet off course.  Bus #1 does not have this problem.  I have tried reversing the polarity of the steering magnet, but no improvement.  Luckily (fingers crossed) Bus #1 is currently running fine.
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
  Share Topic