Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

German Rhine River Valley Railroad (HO)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHtrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 12:52am

Hello Markus,

Great job, Your layout is coming a long and it looks good so far. I have also been working on my layout too adding some scenery and other details to one of my modules for the portable lay out.

Interesting we both have Faller "Bonn" station. I pick up mind up at last years Concord Model Railroad Club Show here in NH. Mine was assembled already and I carefully took the roof off the main part and add people in to it, I have plans to add lighting to it at some point. Do you have people and lighting in your "Bonn" station? I like the looks of the "Bonn" station I am going to use mine on one of the modules that is in the planning stages.

Mark
NHtrain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHtrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 12:59am

Markus

Question What train shed or passenger canopy is that in your pictures? It almost looks like the one for "Bonn" station, I like the look of the glass roof on it. What brand and kit number is it?

Thanks 

Mark
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 2:17pm
Mark,

thanks, the kit for the canopy is indeed the fitting one for the Bonn station. It is an old kit from Kibri and I bought two of it in an auction on Ebay. This old kit has really ugly plastic colored parts and I ended up with painting them all. Building this on was a little bit of a pain because of the clear parts. You have to be very careful with glue. I used a glue from Micro-sol for the clear parts because it doesn't make them blind. On the other hand this glue takes long to try and is by far not this strong in bonding. You need a lot of patience.

Small Tip:
For painting the lines on the platform I used a paint pin stripping tool

Lighting was done with LED-Strip's insert in Panera straw's and spray painted white.

Edited by RRVRR - 29 Feb 2016 at 12:18pm
NHtrain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHtrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 1:17pm

Hi Markus

Oh ok , Thank you for the information on the Kibri train shed. The platform and shed look good. I like your idea with the LED light strips on the in add more light. It most look cool with the room lights off or turn down low.

The club I belong to here in NH has the Kibri version on "Bonn" station that is much bigger then the faller one that I have. I would almost say it at least 4' in length.  I think I am going to look for the Kibri "Bonn" station and Kibri train shed like yours to put on the home layout and keep the Faller one for shows. I will just need to keep my DB ICE3 shorter for shows

Mark
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 2:37pm
Hi @ all,
there is not a lot of progress at the layout because of a lack of time and motivation. Anyway, I have some other projects going on and this is one of it.

I guess most of you saw the movie "Unstoppable" with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine. Here are some pictures to refresh your memories.

Since I saw that movie (don't know how many times) I would love to get the Locomotive but there are not available from any manufacturer, so that means "do it yourself"

Here are the results:

There are still some details missing what I will apply in the next days. In both Engines I installed the new TCS WOW sound decoder and run it in the new "prototype mode", I like it.

As soon as I get a good model of a SD40-2, I like to build the third engine called 1206.

Edited by RRVRR - 29 Feb 2016 at 12:19pm
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 2:11pm
just a small update in pictures

lot of work.....Confused

but finally done....Big smile

Bridge and Building development or trail and error with my laser...Ouch

I'm willing to sell it. Rey?! Wink

one corner of the layout is finally almost done

Edited by RRVRR - 25 Aug 2015 at 2:08pm
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 1:56pm
My time is short at the moment so it took longer to get something done on the layout. Wiring is not something of high interest so I guess I can skip this part.

Turnouts might be a little bit more interesting especially controlled by a servo. I already designed my own turnouts for the Faller Car System

so it was not a large step to do this also for the train turnouts

My main line and parts of the branch line will have super elevation so I had to figure out an easy way to do it. The solution I came up with was to laser cut two pieces out of 1mm thick card board what I have glued together so I get an elevation of 2mm on one side.

I think this is enough without risking derailments.

In edition I started with the section that will be over the shadow station between the airport helix and the city station. This is hosting a small section of a German city with the car system.

I will use Train Controller for automatic train control. I has the possibility to let me chose if I like to be in control, let the program partly control or just full automation to lean back and watch. The first step is to setup the layout in the program. This is almost done and I already can control the trains with the program on the computer or from my tablet, smart phone.

I had a hard time to decide where I put the monitors. Right now I placed it between shadow station level and the first visible layer. Unfortunately it will now block the access to the shadow yard and in case something goes wrong it usually is exactly where you have a hard time to reach in. The solution right now are two monitor swing brackets so I will be able to move the monitors away.

...to be continued

Edited by RRVRR - 29 Feb 2016 at 12:06pm
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 3:42pm
Ballast is done, rail's are painted...next steps is to weather the track a little bit more, it looks to clean....I keep you posted.

Edited by RRVRR - 28 Aug 2015 at 3:42pm
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 3:03pm
for more realism - some junction self made boxes and cable tray

Edited by RRVRR - 29 Feb 2016 at 12:09pm
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 5:50pm

That is GREAT, Markus!  I'll keep that in mind when I get to that point with the N scale layout....

Gord

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
  Share Topic